23 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2017 4:17 PM by David Matula

Value of Service Pack upgrades.

Shane Sparks

Does anyone know if it is necessary to upgrade from 2017 SP1 to higher (2-4)?

• Re: Value of Service Pack upgrades.
          Philip Downing

It is always adviseable Shane in order to eliminate some of the bugs and improve perfromance. As SP1 is a fairly early version, I would certainly advise it as soon as possible.

Glenn Schroeder

No, it's not necessary.  There may be some bugs affecting you that were fixed in the later service packs, but there is no requirement for you to update.  In fact, if you go off subscription you can't even get service packs that were released after your subscription expired.

Jim Steinmeyer

Both Glenn and Phillip are correct as Phillip said "Advisable" and not necessary. While it is not vital that you upgrade to service packs as Glenn points out, the service packs are usually an attempt to correct bugs or respond to issues raised with the new release. If you are on SP0 or SP1 I would definitely upgrade to SP4 or 5 when they become available as the new release of anything is more likely to have issues that have not been found during testing. Then the "seak-N-destroy" teams have a few months where they address those issues while new features and options won't be released until the next version.

A better question might be "is it necessary to up grade versions every year?'.  If a version is stable for you and if after going through the "What's New" information you don't find a feature that you see a real need for I would be inclined to not upgrade until at least SP3 or 4.

Dennis Dohogne

Service Packs are generally good to upgrade to as they fix bugs and occasionally add or expand some minor new functionality.  However, my practice has evolved into delaying implementation for a bit and not installing SP's as soon as they come out.  Why?  Because the bug rates seem to have gone up, rather than down as the product has matured.  There have been a few occasions where an SP was taken down within a day or two of its initial posting and other cases where a supplemental SP (SPx.1) was issued shortly after the previous one was issued, all because the SP had some bad bug(s).

SolidWorks has the Early Valuation releases of SP's and this is great for the folks that are having a problem that that SP fixes and it is also great for the folks that are "early adopters" of any new technology or upgrade.  I'm in a production environment and there is no room for a productivity tool to cause me loss of productivity.  I see the EV versions as asking the users to be a final beta tester of the SP.  That doesn't work for my place of work so we don't participate.  We are grateful to those that do and find problems and cause their fixes before the regular SP issues.

We have had such a bad experience with SWX2017 that we still are not using it except for those files that were already opened and saved in '17 and we have no choice.  We hold our breath the whole time we are using SWX2017 and save often.  I used to install SP's as soon as I could, usually within a week of their release, but no more.  We'll wait a couple more weeks to see what the consensus is on SP4.0 before we install it.

By the way, ONE and TWO!!!

Rick McDonald

As an added note about service packs, there is no compatibility issue between Service Packs (from the same version year of SWX).

If someone makes a file created with 2016 sp5 and you are on 2016 sp0 (initial release) you can still read and update the files with no problem. Any service pack withing the same version year IS compatible with any other service pack within that year.

This is not the case with different Year versions of SWX.

If a file is created with SWX 2017 (any SP) you can not read and edit it with SWX 2016 (or before)(any SP).

So, as noted in the other replies above, it really comes down to bug fixes or problems - If the bugs in an earlier SP don't affect you then there is no need to update, but if they do, it is good to wait to see the bug is fixed and proven before spending the energy to update.

Feature upgrades are generally associated only with full version updates.

Rick McDonald

Another thing that is a good idea, and I very highly recommend:

Every time a SP comes out - download it using the "Download Only" option (don't install) - and be sure you do the full download (all prerequisites and files).  The files are big but disk space is cheap these days. Do the download even if you don't think you will install and used this version or SP.

Then, if you do decide to install someday you will have the files on disk and the install will go much faster.  Also, if there are any install problems you can easily reinstall, since you have the files on hand and don't have to download again.

Also, if you find yourself in the predicament that many have, where you find a bug and need to go back to an earlier version or SP, you will have the files on disk and can easily revert back.  After a new version or SP is released the earlier downloads are removed and replaced with the current ones.

Many people have been bit by this and are stuck with a version that has a problem and they can't get back to the version or SP that was previously working for them.  This is especially true for new year versions.   I also do this for Draftsight, e-drawings, SW Explorer, or any other files / programs you may possibly use.

You may install a version and not find out for quite a while that there is a problem, and if you don't have the full install of the earlier versions as a backup you will be stuck.  The reason to also download each SP is that you may move from SP1 and then when SP5 comes out you install it and find a problem. You would be able to go back to SP1 if you saved that but if you had SP4 also (that you never even installed) you may be able to install that and it could fix the problem you had with SP5 and other things that were also problems in SP1.

Tyson Hueppelsheuser

well to get the most value out of your ridiculously expensive yearly subscription you may as well get all the updates and then maybe you will have a technical glitch that you will actually require your VAR for lol. or so that when you stop paying your subscription fee your at least at the newest version for a couple years until you decide to pay the full backdating pricing or get a new license... because they couldn't make it simple...

sorry for the rant lol...

Alin Vargatu

Shane Sparks wrote:

Does anyone know if it is necessary to upgrade from 2017 SP1 to higher (2-4)?

I strongly recommend upgrading to 2017 SP4.0. Some really pesky bugs, that used to... bug me... have been squashed in this SP.

David Matula

if you have found and reported a bug in a feature that you use all the time then yes upgrade....if things are going smooth for what you are doing then let it go.....unless you want to take the chance that they fixed a bug in one place and one got added  to something that you use every day....