Doing this on a Development (Test) Server...
Solidworks Premium Solidworks
PDM Professional Solidworks
Electrical Schematic Professional
Solidworks Electrical 3D
Goal: Perform all necessary backups and be able to upgrade to 2017 SP4 Products, and then revert back to 2016 SP4 Products. Without involving our Networking team.
Presently, I get our networking tech to clone our production VM server to another server. And I test the upgrade process on the test server only. For each testing cycle; to get back to the exiting production environment, I have to get the networking tech to reclone the production server 3-5 times.
1) Is there a way I can do the necessary backups; test the upgrade process (update my notes, etc.), then revert back to 2016 products myself?
2) After a upgrade test cycle, how do I get back to the previous version server software and files? Is it possible?
3) Does anyone have a process (solution) for these testing cycles and it not involve recloning the server? Please share.
Presently I'm doing the following:
1) Backup SQL Server File Vault Database - using SQL Server Management Studio
Full Database Backup
2) Backup Solidworks PDM Archive Server Settings - presently this is done each week on Sunday 12am.
3) Backup the Entire Vault Database (Files) - this is performed by the IT/Networking Team
Incremental - Daily at 1am
Saturdays (Full Backup)
Maintains a 30 day history
4) Archive Solidworks Electrical