1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 3, 2017 6:58 AM by John Stoltzfus

How to handle different serial numbers for a layout from Autocad to Solidworks?

Terry Kasuboski

I have been asked what is the best way to capture previously designed gearbox in AutoCAD and having multiple layouts for a range of serial numbers as the product was improved as it was reordered in Solidworks. I have attached a screen shot of the layout as I am explaining here.

I am thinking that the use of configurations would be used in the assembly of the model of this gearbox and additional detailed tabs stating the serial number would be used. Others think that it would be a matter of history recall because switching between configurations would mess up the detail drawing and balloons for the serial number range for the gearbox.

I am asking for advise on how everyone seems to be handling this type of modifications as it comes up. Is there a better solution to this that we have not thought of?

• Re: How to handle different serial numbers for a layout from Autocad to Solidworks?
          John Stoltzfus

Terry Kasuboski - A few years ago I also re-drew a Gearbox with different configurations and those different configurations were called in each drawing as required.

Terry Kasuboski wrote:

I am thinking that the use of configurations would be used in the assembly of the model of this gearbox and additional detailed tabs stating the serial number would be used. Others think that it would be a matter of history recall because switching between configurations would mess up the detail drawing and balloons for the serial number range for the gearbox.

I am asking for advise on how everyone seems to be handling this type of modifications as it comes up. Is there a better solution to this that we have not thought of?

I would definitely pick what you mentioned above, however, you can do this a few different ways..

1.  You can assemble the all the models separately, or...

2.  You can do a save as copy from the original model and then suppress or delete the parts not needed and insert the proper parts for that model, or....

3.  You can assemble the original model and add a configuration for each different model or version and within each configuration you can suppress or un-suppress each part that applies.

4.  When you insert the Gearbox assembly in the drawing you can call the appropriate gearbox for that particular drawing tab, if you use a multiple page drawing..