4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2017 12:32 PM by Brian Hillner

Group Pivot question

Chris Cunningham

I absolutely love the Pivot tool and the ability to move around the pivot center on groups. However, it gets annoying when I need to move the pivot center for the main group and a group in a group. This is for animation and graphic positioning. See example below: In order to get an arm into position, I first need to adjust pivot on (A) then go into that group and adjust pivot for (B) to pull out arm. Then I need to adjust (C) for rotating part. All groups need to have the exact same pivot. Is there anyway to add to (D) a button that says use above group pivot? Or even copy pivot position from group, or something like that? Or maybe this already exists and I have just missed it. Thanks!

• Re: Group Pivot question
          Rich Fagioli

Chris Cunningham wrote:

I absolutely love the Pivot tool and the ability to move around the pivot center on groups. However, it gets annoying when I need to move the pivot center for the main group and a group in a group.

I have the same problem and found that a universal pivot point only works on a model (and all subsequent groupings) as long as the model has not been moved, either after saving or import. Therefore, I'll adjust my POV, then disassemble the model into groups, pivot them, and THEN move them within the environment. Otherwise, all manner of goofy stuff happens. I use this method to "open" and "close" valve internals and turn decaled knobs.

Brian Hillner

I've found the best way to do this is to start with the smallest 'child' then up to the largest 'parent'.

So in a sliding miter saw, group the blade parts...then group the rotating shield second, then group the rotating parts that rotate down to cut the wood, then the entire sliding mechanism, then the entire top assembly that spins. Following the inner-out approach allows you to edit the pivot points of each group independently from each other.

Then once all grouping and pivot moving is set, only then can you start keyframing. Here's the final render video of the 'inner-out' grouping method for the miter saw animation in rendered recently:

SOLIDWORKS Visualize Miter Saw animation - YouTube

Hopefully this makes sense!

Brian Muhlbach do I have this above methodology correct?

Chris Cunningham

Thanks Brian. I have the same work flow you mentioned. I guess I was just looking to cut some corners and save time. My issue comes down to nested groups that require the exact same pivot point as the main group. i need to be able to rotate the top group then pull out nested arms within that group that need to have the same pivot center. It gets annoying adjusting the pivot center 12 times in the 4 main arm groups. That's 48 pivot center adjustments across all our lift models that need to be rendered out.