4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2017 4:49 PM by John Stoltzfus

Large design table does not show up in drawing

Matt Barrett

I have a large design table with a little over 100 configurations of a part that I need to insert into a drawing to create a tabulated drawing. When I insert the DT into the drawing only about the last 10-12 rows show. Any suggestions?

• Re: Large design table does not show up in drawing
          John Pesaturo

I was under the impression that a DT was able to have the same ability as within excel which is pretty impressive however I have seen numerous times in the past where this is not the case. I would hope that maybe Dan could chime in here as I think there may be a limit to how many configurations the DT will actually take but what that number is I struggle to recall.

Matt Barrett

Stumbled across the solution, which there might be a better way but this works. If you open the DT in Excel and zoom the data to fit and exit back to SW. The spreadsheet will then open to that scale in the drawing. Fairly simple solution for wasting several hours trying to figure it out!

John Stoltzfus

That is correct Matt - for some reason the tables in Excel open up just like you left them which is different then the BOM, which will tabulate the entire table, but not in the Design Table...  I actually forgot about that one, that happen for me many years ago and I also stumbled across the simple thing of editing the Design Table in the drawing file and expanding it, just like you said..

Dan Pihlaja

John Pesaturo wrote:

I was under the impression that a DT was able to have the same ability as within excel which is pretty impressive however I have seen numerous times in the past where this is not the case. I would hope that maybe Dan could chime in here as I think there may be a limit to how many configurations the DT will actually take but what that number is I struggle to recall.

Thanks John

The design table actually uses Excel.  What you might be talking about is a general table or a BOM, which has some functionality of Excel, but is seriously lacking in that category.

As far as I know, the only limit to the number of configurations is limited by your computer being able to calculate them.

I had a design table with 1488 different configurations (I think that I have had more than that).

The problem with large design tables that I have seen, is that, once you get past 100 configurations, you "flakiness" problems start going up.  It is very easy to corrupt the design table and once that happens, you are SOL.

Matt, how are you inserting the Design Table into the drawing?

There are a bunch of different ways to do it, but how you do it depends on whether or not you have the design table saved externally or not (some of the ways are the same either way though).

Can you share the drawing and part files?