6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2017 4:37 PM by Dan Schleicher

graphics card

Saurav Anand

I have a HP 15-ab035AX laptop. it has a AMD A8-7410 APU With Radeon R5 Graphics card 2.20 GHz. configuration. RAM is 8 GB.

But when i try to make some model in my Solidworks 2016 the error prompt on screen which is " Display driver stopped responding and has recovered "

So my question is that may i try solidworks 2014 or should i changed my Graphics card ? Please give me some possible solution.

• Re: graphics card
          Ryan Dark

Hi Saurav,

Since you have a laptop changing the graphics card is not really an option.  At least, it is not an option to change to a supported graphics card.  You could possibly help alleviate this by testing other graphics drivers for the laptop (latest does not mean greatest) and see if you can find a driver that stabilizes the system.  You could try SOLIDWORKS 2014 to see if that change helps; although, it is similarly intense on the graphics card and likely will see the same behavior.

Saurav Anand

Thank you Ryan, but i dont know how to test other graphics drivers for my laptop. and what about the solidworks 2014 ???

Ryan Dark

To test other graphics drivers for this hardware you would need to go to the http://support.amd.com/en-us/download website and see what other graphics driver versions are offered for the hardware you have.  That would probably be the best spot to find as many different options as possible to try.

Again, your hardware is of an unsupported variety and it is indeterminate whether downgrading SOLIDWORKS to version 2014 will have any positive impact.  You can try it though and see how it goes.

Josh Brady

Try turning on Software OpenGL in the system options.  You have to do this with SW open but no documents open.

Akshat Verma

Well the first thing you can do is to change drivers, you can either update to newer drives and can try out beta or older drives. You can download the drivers from the AMD website. You may use an external graphics card (powerful one) an using eGPU box but your laptop should support it and it should have a Thunderbolt 2 port.

Dan Schleicher

Saurav,

First I am an Nvidia graphics card guy. I like the Nvidia M3000M. It is only 4GB. The price is around $800. If you need 8GB, then the M4000M, but the price is over $1200.