1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 31, 2017 12:15 PM by Ryan Dark

Multiple Inlet and Outlet for Room Air Circulating system

Muhyi Sulaeman

Hi guys
      im still new using solidworks, currently im working my final project using solidwork flow simulation to simulate air circulating condition for the room. ruins of old palace, the room of late empress.
      the room have large space under the building and several holes, the holes is not buried under earth, the building itself built taller than surroundings. which is archeologist belive it is used for circulating air so make that room above is well quite comfortable (natural air conditioner). some archeologist said the base of the hollow room with the holes,there is water that flow slowly because the place itself around river and embankment.

my focus at this project is, to simulate if such air circulating exist. if with ordinary bay area air flow can make the room quite comfortable.
      i need at least 10 outlet temperature and flow mass
      #attached the file

the question is,

- is there possible to simulate multiple inlet and outlet?, around 7 inlet (north and west air flow) and 17 outlet ( south,east and above room air flow)
      - how to defined the boundary conditions?is that fine to set all outlet become environment pressure?
      - how to defined base the hollow room as water?

so far i only found less than 3 either outlet or inlet for reference, is there any ebook or some paper could i use for reference, i appreciate for every lil help, im starting to interest the simulation world

sorry for bad grammar and writing
      Ty so much

Muhyi Sulaeman

• Re: Multiple Inlet and Outlet for Room Air Circulating system
          Ryan Dark

Hi Muhyi,

Yes, you are allowed to have many inlet and outlets applied within your setup.  Example setups tend toward simplicity in order to teach/illustrate a particular point and so they do not tend to have dozens of inlets/outlets.  It is possible for you to do that tough, if you wish.

The problem with making this an internal analysis is that you would not reasonably be able to apply just environmental pressure to all the inlets/outlets.  Some of them have to be flow conditions in order to get the air moving.  You would need to know fairly exact flow speeds for your inlets to facilitate this (this is somewhat unreasonable to expect to have on-hand.  You may wish to switch your analysis over to an external study which leaves all these holes (inlets/outlets) open, without lids, and apply an external flow across the model to represent the wind passing around/through the structure.  In this way, the program is solving for how much air is flowing in/out of all the openings.

Your incorporation of a free surface of water is your real problem though.  Flow Simulation cannot handle free/open surfaces of liquid in the same chamber as a gas.  For that, there is no workaround really so your analysis may need to be done without that included.