15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2017 11:53 PM by Deepak Gupta

sketches disappear during DXF export

Kevin Shields

I'm trying to export a .sldprt as a .dxf. I do this with the 'save as' command, select filetype as .dxf, then go through the DXF/DWG export wizard. This process worked perfectly for me until today. The issue I'm having is that visible sketches don't appear in the final .dxf. I'm not sure what settings changed in solidworks that could have changed this behavior.

Does anyone know what could be causing this behavior? I've attached a photo of the sketch not appearing.

• Re: sketches disappear during DXF export
          Deepak Gupta

What is your SW version and SP?

Dean C. Hall

Kevin,

I have tried to reproduce your issue as well. If i Boss-Extrude the circle pattern (with the square sketch around it) I do not see an option as well to export sketches in the DXF.  However, If i remodel the Circle patter as a sheet metal part in gives me the option to export the sketch with the DXF.

Todd Blacksher

I had someone here run into that exact same problem today - it used to work for them, but now it doesn't.

I was able to get it to work on my computer, and the only difference that I noted was having the sketch shown vs. hidden.

I do not have "Export Sketch Entities" checked in my System Options -> Export Options

It works for me (sheet metal part with a sketch that is shown) if I select "Annotation Views" and "*Current" in the DXF/DWG dialog.

I have some weird results if I export as "Sheet Metal" and check "Sketches" - it "flips" the text.

my 2 cents,

todd

Dean C. Hall

I do not have "Export Sketch Entities" selected either. But when the base part is modeled in sheet metal, when you right click the part and select "Export DXF/DWG"/select your file location, then pick sheet metal under the export tab.  Another tab "Entities To Export" will pop up below "Export" check "Sketches"  and the sketch will be exported with the DXF. Then you are able to remove entities in the Export screen that you do not want to be saved with the file (for instance, the center lines for the square sketch).

Todd Blacksher

Here is the part with the sketch (text) shown -

This is what it looks like when exporting "Annotation Views" and "*Current" -

This is the "funkiness" (text is flipped) when exporting "Sheet Metal" with "Sketches" checked -

If I hide the sketch and select "Annotation views" and "*Current" this happens -

With the sketch hidden, the Sheet Metal text "flipping" still happens.

Now for the "funny" part -

None of this worked on my co-workers computer, he did not see the sketch at all in the export.

I sent him my registry settings, it then worked.

He reloaded his original registry settings, it still works.

Sounds like something for one of those Time-Life Books . . .

Deepak Gupta

It works for me without that option on 2014 but not on 2015 and 2016.

Todd/Dean, do you've 2015 or 2016 to check this?

Kevin Shields

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all of the suggestions. After trying several different methods (one of which was importing the settings file from the working SW PC), I've finally tracked down the issue! The problem was being caused by my default drawing template. I switched it out with the template from the working PC and I can now export DXFs with shown sketches.

I was using a custom default drawing template on the problematic PC. Doing some quick tests, I did find that sketches aren't displayed when I start a new drawing under the custom drawing template. I'm not sure what causes this behavior, so i'll just switch back to the default drawing template and add my customization in later. The .DXF export w/ sketches works so my main problem is solved.