11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2017 2:54 PM by Shane Kozlowski

Component line font changes for print/save

Shane Kozlowski

I have the component line font changed to make this part and its location inside the assembly stand out. Whenever I use print, or save to a PDF the line font changes back to the lighter "ghost" layer. This also happens if I close and re-open a drawing. I cannot for the life of me get the lines for this component stay black. Is there something I'm missing?

I'm right clicking the component in the feature tree and selecting "component line font..." then deselecting default and selecting from selection and picking the "0" layer. I never select the assembly and turn it to "ghost" rather I select each sub-part and turn them each individually hoping that the "ghost" setting on the assembly level doesn't override the individual components. I like this feature but its proving to be useless past the original drawing file and even then only until the drawing is closed.

• Re: Component line font changes for print/save
          Glenn Schroeder

Shane,

I've been wracking my brain on this but haven't come up with much.  I use that feature all the time, and while I've seen quirky stuff a time or two, I've never had it revert back to earlier settings.  If it was just when creating pdf's I'd suggest checking your pdf settings, but it sounds like it's more than that.  The only suggestion I have, and I know it would be tedious, would be to select the individual model edges and change them with the Line Format toolbar.  That should work and be stable.

Peter Kennedy

I have something similar when I save as a PDF however usually when I print to PDF it works better. Have you change what program you use to print to PDF?

Dave Hoder

I've found the component line font thing to be very unpredictable. Some times it works, some times it doesn't. Some times it will all be good then I come back to the drawing and it's only changed in some views.

Glenn Schroeder

I've also noticed lately that even if I have it set to all components it will still only affect the selected instance of the component.

Shane Kozlowski

so it sounds like this functionality is just unstable by nature. I'd like to know if more people are experiencing problems with it. Granted I'm sure our computer specs all vary but it would be good to know if a larger group of people is seeing this.

Aaron Torberg

We (Lanco) are a group of 35 designers/engineers and all of us are having this problem!  In the attached drawing image arrow 1 shows the view correctly, with the correct line font.  The other labeled views refuse to change from the phantom line font!  I can change them manually by selecting a new component line front for the device, and un-checking the option "all views", but as soon as a rebuild is done (ctrl+Q) the phantom lines come back.  I can print them locally with the line font correctly, but the SOLIDWORKS PDM Task to generate PDFs and other documentation wont capture these changes, in fact as soon as the drawing is checked in the lines go back to phantom!  It is extremely frustrating as the resident "SW Expert" (and I am a CSWE) to have 34 people breathe down my throat about an issue SOLIDWORKS doesn't seem to care about!  I can contact my VAR all day long, and I feel like it is a game of telephone where I explain the problem to them in my words, and they explain ti to SW in their words, and SOLIDWORKS hears something completely different and comes back with a reply that they cannot reproduce my problem!  When is this going to get better...?  Sometimes I like all the market power SW has and other times (like this) its a bane, because problems like this are such a small blip on their radar.  If SOLIDWORKS is listening to this rant - please review the attached drawing image and note that from a drafting perspective it is wrong and looks terrible!  Your software generated it and for the last year and a half has not developed a fix, your organization should be ashamed to produce this rubbish, I know mine is!  Solid Edge, although not as good a tool overall, contained a much better, more consistent drawing environment!  We got real results when we had valid issues, and we reported them directly to Solid Edge/Siemens not a VAR middleman.

000.jpg

If SW is listening to my rant - I would love to get some feedback on this issue.

Shane Kozlowski

I will second that, not sure if you know this SoIidworks, but DRAWINGS are 70% of engineering and design. It doesn't matter how good you are at modeling or design if you cannot convey the part/assembly to a third party or production. So we spend time and money using all the fancy tools that make our designs sustainable, efficient, and cost effective only to turn it into a drawing that looks like a large blob of black ink. we fight and fight to accentuate the important part on the page but still here we sit, scratching our heads and working around....

FYI - As a workaround I have been taking screenshots of the drawing while it is in the correct display and pasting them to MS Word and converting to PDF. Its dumb and gives a low quality drawing but at least you can differentiate lines.