10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2017 9:26 AM by Brian Hillner

Creating raw wood plank visualization

Kamil Wilkosz

Hello,

I'm trying to create a very raw wood plank.

The main problem with which I'm fighting is that my textures are so flat and do not present real bump of raw wood.

I attached my results.

Do you have any idea what can I do better?

If you wish to check a visualize project file, you can download it from here: Download File

BR,

Kamil

• Re: Creating raw wood plank visualization
          Rob Rodríguez

Are you also using bump maps in the material?

Kamil Wilkosz

I mixed color, specular and bump textures.

Rob Rodríguez

Are you using a gray scale image for bump or a normal map?

I assume you are using specific maps for each type....specular, bump, etc

"bump" is created using shadowing to trick the eye into thinking there is depth.  In some instances it works great and in others it doesn't.  Some of that depends on how good your bump map is and also how you are viewing the object (the angle) which the material is applied.

If bump doesn't provide a "real" look then displacement is the next step.  Displacement is "expensive" however and should only be used when absolutely necessary.  I don't have a lot of experience with displacement in Visualize so I can't really comment on that.

Rich Fagioli

The feature you're looking for is called "Bump Displacement". From the Help Menu:

• Bump Displacement. Converts the highlights and shadows in the grayscale bump texture to 3D displacement. This adds realism by adding physical depth to the bump texture.

Note that you need your texture to be in grayscale, and you'd probably want it to match the wood color that you've applied for super-triple-added realism.

Disclaimer: I've NEVER had this feature work correctly for me. Things always literally look like homework after the dog ate it. If you get yours to work correctly, you should report back here to show us how you did that!

Ron Bates

What does your bump map image look like?  It's important to determine if you are using a "NORMAL" map for bump, or a black/white height map.  And select the option accordingly.

You may also find this thread interesting: Customized Bump Maps

Peter Hildebrandt

It´s important to use a highres-mesh, not just a simple mesh with a few polygons for bump displacement.

However, it´s still tricky and not very intuitive to get the desired results.On the other hand, playing around with

meshes,appearances and displacements01_SimplePlane_Displacement_10_Cylindrical.jpg02_ComplexPlane_Displacement_0-2.jpg03_ComplexPlane_Displacement_01.jpg04_ComplexPlane_Displacement_10.jpg05_ComplexPlane_Displacement_10_Cylindrical.jpg06_ComplexPlane_Displacement_mesh-appearances.jpg can create astonishing results.

Rich Fagioli

Is the polygon number something that is set when creating the part in Solidworks? Or can you manipulate that in Visualize? If so, the pro version only?

Rob Rodríguez

Polygon count control would be something you would/could control in a subd modeling application...... SolidWorks is a NURBS modeling application.  You only have control over the mesh quality (image quality in SolidWorks).  Not the same thing really.

The conversion from SolidWorks NURBS to a "mesh" is not quad's, its triangles which can make working with displacement difficult.  It can also make working with UV maps difficult.  This is one of the reasons working with CAD data in general in CG applications (Maya, Modo, 3DS, etc) can be difficult and why a lot of CG artist simply remodel the CAD data in subd's (there are other benefits to this also).  I suspect its a reason why the displacement tools in Visualize aren't more refined and also the lack of UV tools.  The benefits of these tools with CAD data is limited until a better NURBS to mesh conversion is possible.

Kamil Wilkosz

Hi guys, thanks a lot !

I have experimented with bump texture (normal and in the gray scale), with model geometry and option "bump displecement".

The best what I did is below:

RawWoodPlank-model3-ver2.jpg

It needs a few corrects yet.

The bump displacement is hard to use, very often the results was something like this:

bump-discplecement.png

bump-discplecement-2.png

I'm not sure if problem is in the geometry or in the gray scale texture.

By the way, do you have some free software to create your own bump textures?

I'm using this one: NormalMap-Online  but I'm not sure if it generates high quality textures.

BR,

Kamil

Brian Hillner

Hi Kamil,

As Ron suggested, check out this other Visualize Forum thread. Especially Ron's response at the end.

Customized Bump Maps

A software called CrazyBump is the answer to what you seek.

Nice job with the wood plank! The results from your 'best' image look great. Displacement only works when you have a dense enough mesh (polygons) to displace the actually geometry. As Rob said above, displacement is difficult with any triangles-based (polygon) visualization program, rather than quad-based. One of the main issues is that all quad-based visualization programs are so complex that you have to train in them for years before becoming proficient. Whereas a newbie to Visualize can create photo-quality content almost instantly.