4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2017 10:28 AM by Vladimir Urazhdin

Non-Virtual Sub-Assembly Thinks it is

David Suelflow

I have an assembly that has a sub-assembly and some other parts in it.  We have several of them that are basically the same except for the sub-assembly is different (all the parts are the same).  We have a “cloning” process where we make new assemblies from old ones by copy and paste in Windows Explorer, re-name and change the sub-assembly reference during the open dialog box.  For the first time in years of doing this, when I try to change the sub-assembly reference, it says that it (the current one) is saved internally to the assembly.  The thing is, it’s not.  It was not created that way, it is not listed that way in the tree and I have the option to make it virtual.  It appears as a separate file in Explorer and the top level assembly appears in the “Where Used” tab in SW Explorer.  It is also listed as an external reference.  I’m at a loss as to how this might have happened and how to fix it.  I’ve opened the sub-assembly and Save-As over the old one to no avail.  Anyone have any suggestions?