20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2017 11:12 AM by David Sloop

Why should my company upgrade from SW 2013 to 2017/18?

Jon Shubin

I'm trying to convince my company to upgrade our 2013 version of Solidworks to 2017 (or possibly 2018 if we wait a few months). I've used 2017 at my last job, so it really sucks using 2013 (I recently switched jobs). We only use the basic version of solidworks (parts, large assemblies, drawings), no circuits, fea, routing, etc.) I believe we have 13 seats of 2013, but we would probably only need 4-5 permanent seats and 1-2 floating seats

What I am looking for specifically:

1) Any time saving analysis/estimates (ex: assembly #14 takes x hours in 2013, but only takes y hours in 2017)

1b) Your experience upgrading to the new versions

2) Benefits you can think of or received from new versions (ex: Increased productivity, morale boost, tech support, etc.)

3) If you did NOT upgrade, what issues have you dealt with?

4) Honestly, any input on the subject. I haven't found any threads like this specifically.

Thanks everyone!

• Re: Why should my company upgrade from SW 2013 to 2017/18?
          John Stoltzfus

Definitely upgrade if you can....

In every release there are bugs and hiccups we need to deal with, even with those it is better to get to the latest and greatest..

Glenn Schroeder

You said it sucks going back to SW2013.  Be more specific to the boss.  Explain what enhancements have been introduced since 2013 that will increase your productivity and allow you to get more work done.  That translates into money saved.  Maybe even go to the "What's New" document for each year since then so you can show documentation of the enhancements.

Christian Kniat

Recieving any models from suppliers or customers becomes harder with older versions (we have 2014). Many times suppliers with solidworks models cannot send us assemblies with constraints because they have to send a stp or iges file. This is just my experience and I'm sure there are more upgrades with the newer version.

Tony Cantrell

Look at the Whats New pdf's and use that for your reasons to upgrade to which ever version.

Ivana Kolin

if you are also interested to why don't upgrade then I can give you a reason:

in our case many models had to be fixed by hand because of rebuild errors after conversion from 2013 to 2017.

Glenn Schroeder

I just remembered one that might not show up in the "What's New" documents.  They did something major with SW2015 to drastically reduce file sizes.  I could open a file last saved with SW2014 with SW2015, save and close, and the size go down by close to half.

Walter Fetsch

Whether or not there is value in upgrading depends a lot on what you're doing with the software.  I know the plastics, molding, and product development guys were very excited about some of their new features in the last couple of releases.  In the area of machine design, however, there has been very little change that has been useful to me, in many years.

Given the severe bugginess and instability of SW2017, I think you should at least wait for SP5.  You'd be crazy to install the earlier service packs.  2017 is the ninth version that I've used (I skipped seven of them) and I have literally submitted more bug reports this year than in all of the previous versions combined (2002-2016).  This is not an exaggeration.

Steven Mills

Usual reasons for upgrading -

1. Allows you to share files with other upgraded SW users. You can't make something in a future version then revert it back to a previous version without turning it into a dumb solid. You can only upgrade previous versions to future versions.

2. More tools and functions and improvements, see 'what's new' with every version.

3. You don't have to buy a new version of SW every year. Just the first down payment, then only pay about 1/5th of that price every year to keep the license and get new updates. At least that is how it works with my personal license.

3a. You get tech support with the license. Since you stayed at 2013 I'm assuming you don't really have tech support anymore.

Chris Saller

Check into what version most of your vendors/customers use. Try to keep up with them.

Matt Peneguy

We just recently moved to 2017 from 2014.  Some of the big improvements I have noticed so far:

The ability to hover over and grab center points!

Want to know the parent child relationships graphically in the feature tree? Just right click on the part in the feature tree and turn it on:

Design checker! So far I have used it to check parts for undefined sketches, only.  I am hopeful that this one turns out to be as powerful as Custom Property Tab Builder, but I haven't had a chance to really dig into it.  And I have to say that would be a pretty high bar.

Hmm...I'm sure I have more, but those three were at the top of my mind.

Take the plunge and make sure to dig into the what's new files for 2015, 2016 and 2017 to see what's improved and what's new.

Glenn Schroeder

If you have multiple sheet drawings, beginning with SW2017 you can change the sheet format for one, some, or all with one operation.  That saves me a lot of time.  I have a big watermark across preliminary drawings, and it's nice to be able to remove it from all sheets at once instead of the laborious process in previous versions.

Christian Chu

I've Just been using SW2017 for few weeks and my impression is SW2016 sp5 is more stable than sw2017sp3 (more crash) - Hope it'd be better for the next 2 sp

Dan Golthing

You didn't say what you are designing.  If you are designing featureless cubes, then I think you're OK with 2013.

Marco Wu

Don't do that. It is NOT good for you.

#1. Why the company needs to spend money on SW licences to make the job easier for a new guy? If you found some study of better environment would increase work efficiency, does it mean that you will ask your company to remodel?

#2. Have you thought about the Hardware upgrade? How much would it cost? Each computer may cost twice of SW license.

#3. Do you need other people in the company who used to use 2013 to learn the new thing because of you?

Base on what you ask, I guess you are a young guy and do not have too much experience interact with people.

David Sloop

Convincing a company to upgrade to a newer release of their existing software is much different than asking them to change software.

I see no reason he shouldn't at least present the idea to them.

If it makes his job easier, why wouldn't it make the other users jobs easier.

Maybe they've wanted to upgrade, but just didn't have time, or ambition to ask.

Maybe management wouldn't really take much convincing...

It's worth a shot.

Working in a year or two old release is one thing, but working in a 4-5 year old version does present issues.

We can share Solidworks files with some of our vendors and customers currently (We're using 2015), but a couple have upgraded to 2017, so we are running into that issue.

We also download files from suppliers. McMaster-Carr, SMC cylinders, and many others.

We can download native Solidworks files from many, but I do notice they only offer a couple versions back. If you're on 2013, I could see not being able to download anything but a "dumb" step file.

I like using native files so I can edit them. (For example, making a couple configs of a cylinder at different stroke lengths)

They also do add functionality, and honestly, some of the functionality is pretty nice, even in 2015 compared to 2013.

It might be hard to put dollar signs on the value of the upgrade, but there is definitely value.

Rick McDonald

There are a few things you have not explained that could be very important to your decisions:

Are all your seats (or at least the number of seats you plan to upgrade / use ) currently on subscription?

This can be a major cost - if you have been off subscription for over 3 years you will be basically purchasing new seats (not just renewing your subscriptions as was once standard).

See SolidWorks "Expired Subscriptions" will be switching to a “full backdating” format 1/1/16

What type of computers / monitors do you have - You will very likely have to upgrade at least your memory quantity and video cards to get good performance.

What do you feel is lacking now that the new versions will do better / faster (more efficiently) (this is what your boss will expect you to justify).

Are there features that the new versions have that you can utilize to improve your speed, designs ...

I would love to have the latest and greatest hardware and software but my boss looks at cost out vs. cost savings through efficiency, features, abilities, etc.

If you use online parts from places like McMaster or other sources, you will find that they only remain compatible for a few years.  We just noticed that McMaster parts that we wanted are now only offered in SW versions 2015, 16 & 17, so in a year we won't be able to use some of them (we are on 2015).  You may already be running into this since you are on 2013 - If you have you can show that downloading a model is much faster than creating it. (but understand that downloaded models of things like bolts are not fully accurate on threads or some other features)(but if you are current on the version you download, you can edit them - if really needed).

I always push for keeping current when it makes sense, but it does come at the cost of learning the new features and changes - a good boss will see the ultimate value in this - but some are blind to it.

Richard Gergely

As Rick McDonald says it's going to be very expensive to upgrade when we assume there has been no subscription since 2013.

If I remember 2013 wasn't a bad version and the big speed update to 2D was there.

You have to take it with a pinch of salt what's new unless you go into fine detail on what exactly was the update and how it worked in reality. Perfect example is the chamfer to fillet option in 2017. Which by any level is near useless in it's implementation.

I think it really comes down to more than anything do your clients require new versions or the files you use are newer versions as others have suggested.