9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2017 3:29 PM by S. Casale

Is Visualize a "plaything" or a profession?

Kevin Schlaepfer

Welcome to my discussion

Am I engineer? Am I visualizer? Am I marketer? What are you?

I'm wondering how you are using Visualize... the reason to start this discussion was that I tried today to find a job description for myself. So I even don't know what I should call myself :-)

I'm involved in all engineering projects. Then I bring it with Photoview (and from today with Visualize) further to presentations with animations and pictures and short time before selling I publish the visualizations on online platforms and in brochures… next to it I’m studying Digital Marketing Management where the people are far away from knowing how a picture is produced.

Are you just playing around with Visualize? Are you engineer and using Visualize for your personal presentations? Or are you directly influencing or even running the marketing division?

I would like to know your positions with Visualize!

This picture describes very clear my position…

950194_final.jpg

• Re: Is Visualize a "plaything" or a profession?
          Bjorn Hulman

I think when you are consciously creating high quality, consistent images that form a recognisable style that represents your company (or companies you contract to), you are a professional.

Chris Saller

I don't use it a lot, but I use it when I'm creating new products and send a rendering to the customer. Maybe every other month.

John Stoltzfus

Since you get to do all that "I" want to be your Co-Worker - bring it

As for Visualize, I've used it a little when it came out and had a few images used in our meetings etc.  We don't send any rendered pcs out to our customers, the reason is we have sample boards that get sent out to nail down the final finish.  For us to use it as a final color pick we would need to have all our computer monitors and the customers monitors color calibrated and set the same...

Kevin Schlaepfer

John, from my side you would be welcome to be my co-worker... but I think my company don't needs more of these people who don't know what their job description should be  

For rendering with Solidworks we handle it different. I started to digitalize all of the company from scratch to react faster for changings. Now we have 100% all pictures done with Solidworks Photoview (about 2000 published). With starting to use Visualize we will even have an increasing of the quality in future.

Walter Fetsch

What I would like to know is how to find a job that allows me enough time to make pretty pictures for presentations.  I don't even have enough time to finish drawings for a machine that's already been built.

John Stoltzfus

Walter Fetsch wrote:

What I would like to know is how to find a job that allows me enough time to make pretty pictures for presentations. I don't even have enough time to finish drawings for a machine that's already been built.

and.... being installed

Francisco Martínez

I have thought about this before, my situation is a little different than yours.

I was hired as a cad/cnc programmer, my entire background is in cnc machining and CAM. However I spend 1-2 hours cnc programming and 6-8 hours a day making renderings and assembly animations. it is a whole different beast than cnc programming.

I just  tell people I am a manufacturing engineer instead of trying to explain things they have probably never heard of before.

*typo

Kevin Schlaepfer

That's exactly the point what I expected to hear... I was lucky because when I started there was no Solidworks user, no visualizer and nothing in the company. Because of that I got a lot of freedom to show possibilities in business development with using all of the solidworks tools. And for sure just because of that I got my knowledge in visualizing in Solidworks.

But the main problem in my eyes is, that a visualizer coming from Solidworks is often not taken serious. People expect that a visualizer has to use 3ds max or Cinema to be professional... but I work in this area and with Photoview and Visualize it is possible to produce results, that 70% of these "official professionals" would like to know how you did it... so I think it will just need some more time to get fully accepted. Because the process with the "official professional programs" needs minimum double time in my eyes.

S. Casale

On my CV I have labeled myself as a Designer. I predominantly do Mechanical Design but have an artistic background. I have been trying so hard to get myself into visualize. 2 hours in a day is not enough./

On the side I do graphic design for fun and etc. However, I still want to play with Visualize, but I don't have time - right meow.

I'm too busy after work playing with my kid outdoors.