10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2017 8:34 AM by Tony Tieuli

Dimension edit spin box is gone

Ned Simmons

I recently updated an existing install of 2014 to 2017. Now when I click to edit an existing sketch dimension I get a simple box where a new value can be entered instead of the spin box. The spin box pops up when the dimension is created, but not for subsequent edits.

What's the fix?

Thanks

• Re: Dimension edit spin box is gone
          Deepak Gupta

What service pack you're currently on for 2017?

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Ned,

If you are in sketch mode, then you probably have Instant2D turned on (it is a new functionality turned on by default in SOLIDWORKS 2016 and beyond and described here: 2016 What's New in SOLIDWORKS - Instant2D for Changing Sketch Dimensions ). In summary, it allows, among other things, dimension changes with single click instead of double click. You can still get the UI you are used to with double click (which is how you used to get that UI before).

If you want to turn it off, the toolbar button should be at the end of the Sketch tab of the Command Manager, but will not be there if you did not tell the system to update your CommandManager to add new buttons the first time you started up 2017. In that case, go to the search bubble in the upper right corner of SOLIDWORKS, switch it to Command Search, type in "instant" and select Instant2D. That will turn it off if you don't want it on.

I hope this helps,

Jim

Ned Simmons

Thanks, that was it. Guess I need to go back thru the "What's New" docs for the versions I jumped. The Instant2D seems to be worth a try.

Thanks again.

Ned

Glenn Schroeder

Ned Simmons wrote:

Thanks, that was it. Guess I need to go back thru the "What's New" docs for the versions I jumped. The Instant2D seems to be worth a try.

Thanks again.

Ned

I like it.  I keep Instant 3d turned on, and for years I've single-clicked on features in the tree to show the dimensions, then single-clicked on a dimension to change it.  It always bugged me that changing dimensions within a sketch required a different workflow.  Now that's fixed.  The only drawback I'm aware of is that you can't single-click on a dimension and then hit the Delete key on your keyboard to remove them.  However, that's easy to get around.  There are at least three ways that I know of:

1.  Click on the dimension's leader or extension line instead of directly on the value.  That will select the dimension without opening up the edit box, so you can delete it from your keyboard.

2.  Right-click on the dimension and choose "Delete" from the drop-down.

3.  And one I just discovered a day or two ago.  On small dimensions it's sometimes difficult to click on an extension line or leader without zooming in, but I can click on the dimension, drag it a short distance, and then release it.  It will remain selected, and the Delete key will work.

Ned Simmons

I tried Instant3D when it was introduced, but avoid it because of a "feature" it exhibits with derived parts.

-Insert unabsorbed sketches from a master part into a derived part.

-Extrude or otherwise create a body from one or more of the sketches.

-With Instant3D on you can drag the body to new position, like with an ordinary part, except you can't easily get the body back in the proper position.

If I remember right, in earlier SW versions, the only way I found to restore the body to it's proper position, relative to the master part, was to reload the file. I just checked with 2017 and wasn't able to fix the location no matter what I tried.

If there's a way to prevent this I'd love to try Instant3D again.

Jim Wilkinson

Ned Simmons wrote:

I tried Instant3D when it was introduced, but avoid it because of a "feature" it exhibits with derived parts.

-Insert unabsorbed sketches from a master part into a derived part.

-Extrude or otherwise create a body from one or more of the sketches.

-With Instant3D on you can drag the body to new position, like with an ordinary part, except you can't easily get the body back in the proper position.

If I remember right, in earlier SW versions, the only way I found to restore the body to it's proper position, relative to the master part, was to reload the file. I just checked with 2017 and wasn't able to fix the location no matter what I tried.

If there's a way to prevent this I'd love to try Instant3D again.

Hi Ned,

FYI, this problem has been fixed in SOLIDWORKS 2018 Beta3. So if you upgrade to Beta3 or later, please try Instant3D again.

Thanks,

Jim

Tony Tieuli

I didn't know that third one.

Thanks for sharing!