3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2017 8:56 PM by Oboe Wu

How to use MBD for Hole depth Dim

Charlton Ng

@

I would like to ask how to I dimension the depth using MBD method. I have tried to use dimexpert location or size location but difficult to show the depth. Although I have the hole with depth but I would like to show the specific line as depth dim. Thanks for advising.

• Re: How to use MBD for Hole depth Dim
          Habib Ghalamkari

Does this one suit you ?

1- Click Smart Dimension

2- Click  Reference Dimension

3- Click surface 3

4- Click line 4

5- Place the dimension.

2017-07-17_7-15-56.png

Charlton Ng

Hi Habib

I was able to do earlier as what you have shown. But it took me quite a while to figure out another way as shown below.

Click smart Dim

Click Dimxpert size

Click hole symbol

In Dimxpert manager, click simple hole and break out dim. to show the depth.

Thanks for your help.

Oboe Wu

Thanks for sharing, Charlton and Habib.

Here are two other ways:

1. Start a location dimension, pick the hole face, select "Create Intersection Plane", then pick the bottom cone to create an intersection plane. Select the top face to call out the distance in between.

2. SOLIDWORKS MBD 2017 added the support of reference geometries such as planes, axes, points, and center of mass. You may create a reference plane at the cylinder bottom to annotate the depth. This approach is very flexible, so you can call out annotations as long as you have the reference geometries.

Thanks,

-Oboe