5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2017 3:12 PM by Scott Stuart

Auto Balloon

Eric Bonebrake

I am following this API to add Auto Balloons to my assembly drawing.

2016 SOLIDWORKS API Help - Add Auto Balloons to Drawing Example (VB.NET) http://help.solidworks.com/2016/english/api/sldworksapi/Add_Autoballoon_to_Face_Example_VBNET.htm

The BOM only shows the top level. However the Balloons call out each part of the sub assembly as the assembly number.(see image) Instead of having one balloon pointing to assembly 6 i have 3+ balloons pointing to each part on assembly 6.

What setting am i missing?

Thanks

• Re: Auto Balloon
          Amen Allah Jlili

Mannnnnnn!! You're going to be very disappointed with AutoBalloon. There is no way, as far as I know, to ballon one level of the assembly with native API calls. I think SOLIDWORKS will balloon everything. I ran into further problems with I autoballoon large assemblies (it takes forever).

However, there are multiple workarounds for your problems:
          Slow and balloon/bom compliant: Autballoon the view and then delete the balloons from a lower level.
          Fast and no balloon/bom compliance: Construct your own BOM in memory and then add note annotation to the top level visible entities in the view. This is fast.

Best,
          Amen

CADHERO consulting SUARL – CAD Design Automation & Training – SOLIDWORKS API

Scott Stuart

I have an autoballoon macro that doesn't have this problem. It uses the older AutoBalloon3. Give that a try and see if it behaves differently.

Eric Bonebrake

So i tried this

vNotes = swModel.AutoBalloon3(swDetailingBalloonLayout_Square, True, swBS_Circular, swBF_Tightest, swBalloonTextItemNumber, -1, -1, -1, -1)

But it still gives me the same thing. Are your settings in your macro different then mine?

Scott Stuart

I'm surprised you're not getting an error on that, since three of the last four arguments are string type (UpperText, LowerText, and Layername).

Here's what I'm using:

vNoteArr = swDwgDoc.AutoBalloon3(swDetailingBalloonLayout_Square, True, swBS_Circular, _

swBF_Tightest, swBalloonTextItemNumber, "", swBalloonTextQuantity, "", "-None-")

Deepak Gupta

I tested the codes and found if I've this setting false, then only it behaves like you're seeing. So can you check your setting and make sure it is set to true.

autoballoonParams.IgnoreMultiple = False

Result with False

Result with True