5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2017 3:48 PM by John Matrishon

What are the suggested metrics to evaluate if a PDM implementation has been beneficial after a pilot period?

Fabio Pinto

Hi all,

We have recently implemented PDM Pro in our organization and are in the midst of a pilot period.  This pilot period is to evaluate all of the potential scenarios for managing our CAD data since we have a combination of new project data, acquired product data and legacy product data that will eventually all be transitioned to PDM.  The purpose of the pilot period is to inform and establish the framework for the standard operating procedures and best practices for our organization by working through examples.   The three biggest contributors that will be using PDM have different views (and personal barriers) on how to use and benefit from it and management supports the implementation as long as it does not slow development.

I expect the pilot period to mostly consist of me pushing against the learning curve issues of the users without getting much into the actual management benefits of PDM.

With that in mind, I'd like to setup a milestone for the pilot period at which we evaluate the experience up to that point.  I'm not sure what metrics to use in our evaluation.  Should I have metrics for user experience and metrics for how beneficial it is for the business?  Does anyone have experience with setting up an evaluation like this and have suggestions or point me to resources? 

• Re: What are the suggested metrics to evaluate if a PDM implementation has been beneficial after a pilot period?
          John Matrishon

Fabio, interesting question and a tough one to just validate without experiencing it first hand.   Is this for a future implementation or using the existing install?  If you've already installed and using it, there must have already been a reason to do so?  Are you looking for ROI?

JM

• Re: What are the suggested metrics to evaluate if a PDM implementation has been beneficial after a pilot period?
              Fabio Pinto

John,

It is a current implementation.  The benefits compared to what was in place were outlined and presented at the time of approval.  The main difficulty in just implementing it and switching over cold turkey was that the company already uses a document control system that had been expensively validated (we are in a regulated industry) and it was being used to manage CAD files in a wonky way. Plus, file references were not maintained, especially for assemblies, where all components were frozen into a zip file and archived for each uprev (i.e. you could have a component uprev but that change wasn't reflected in the latest assembly in the system because it was frozen with the previous version of the component).  So, those were the motivations.

The pilot was put in place because of the edict that PDM should not interfere with ongoing development and outlining all of the scenarios of how to migrate legacy data of various forms, training, and figuring out how to integrate with the existing document control system were all too burdensome on me, the admin, when this is not my main responsibility. Any ROI would be difficult to justify at this point because true ROI would come from benefiting from rev/version control that prevents costly errors.  To get there, however, users have to change their habits because, as much as SolidWorks sells it as an easy transition, there are many things to change and enforce on users in order for PDM to be best utilized. 

Ken Maren

Here are my thoughts...

1.  What were the reasons that got you to pilot PDM in the first place?

2.  How much time did/does engineering spend on issues with file references. 

3.  How much time did engineering spend on versions and revisions?  SolidWorks without PDM can be a huge pain to save off revisions of assemblies.  

4.  How often did users find multiples of the same part number only to spend hours trying to find out which file was the correct one?

5.  What does it take for someone at your company to find all the associated documents to a particular product?   Drawings, Manuals, Certifications, etc.  

Those are few quick questions I could think of.