7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2017 6:46 PM by Matt Peneguy

Assy Drawing of Weldment, Best Practice?

Matt Finley

When I do a weldment or assy and want to do a drawing with the assy on the first page and the parts on the subsequent pages, what's the best way to do that?

So far I've tried creating the drawings for the parts separately then pasting them into the assy drawing (I've done this both inside Solidworks and from inside Adobe Acrobat Pro). Doing this is SW is OK because it keeps the part associated to that sheet, but it does not bring in the properties from the part, it's using the assy properties.

What is best practice when doing this kind of thing? And if I'm on the right track, how can I associate the subsequent sheets with the part's properties instead of the assy? I played around with the sheet format but didn't have any "aha!" moments.

• Re: Assy Drawing of Weldment, Best Practice?
          Scott Stuart

You can have views of multiple models on different sheets, and in each sheet's properties, you can specify what view the model properties pull from to populate the title block info. In the feature tree, right-click on the sheet, select properties, and at the bottom left of the properteis window you can select the view.

Personally, I would not call this best practice. I prefer a separate drawing for each component, and a drawing for the weldment.

Capture.PNG

Matt Peneguy

Nice! Now I can have my sheet titles for the first sheet in my drawing file pull information from my assembly.  However, this doesn't address the subsequent sheets.  Can I then link some of that information back to the first sheet for the subsequent sheets?  I don't want to pull the information from the individual parts because we have multiple parts on each of the subsequent sheets.

Glenn Schroeder

I typically have the Assembly on the first sheet (or sheets if it's very complex), with the Part sheets following in the same document.  However, I don't have any notes in my title block that are tied back to the model.  I put all information about the model in notes or dimensions in the drawing view, where it's easy to link the information to the model.  That wouldn't work for some people, but it works well for me.

Matt Finley

That's the ticket, Scott Stuart, thanks!

Glenn Schroeder, Basically the only thing I'll have on the subsequent sheets will be a different description, the material type and sometimes a different part number. Having everything in the same package makes more sense to me, including BOMs and Cut Lists, which are on the Assy drawings.

John Stoltzfus

I use multiple sheet drawings for all of my designs and I have around 7 or 8 Cover Sheets Templates available, these go prior to any of the drawing sheets.  You can basically make up a complete package, based on your imagination, for mine I have a Tab List Cover which lists all the sheet tab names and which page number each tab is, then I have a ECR Cover sheet, ECN Cover sheet, a Assembly BOM Cover sheet, a Part BOM Cover sheet, a Program List BOM cover sheet, a Note cover sheet.  These are all at the front end of my tabs, so after all this I start with the Top Assembly and work down the sub-assemblies till I get to the part files, using however many sheets I need to detail what is expected. 

Having all those cover sheets in the multiple drawing file creates one issue, how do you control the SHEET # of SHEET, that was answered by Leon Wurr..  He wrote a macro that reads the drawing tabs and any tab that has the word "COVER" with in the text of the tab, it won't count those sheets in the drawing numbers, so then the first actual drawing is truly SHEET 1 of ......., however anytime you need to add a sheet you need to run the macro again.

So in actuality if could create a quotation or a operators manual and have the drawing pack following that information all in the same file and all using the same Custom Properties, no re-typing, no additional data entry, quick and easy.....

Matt Peneguy

John,

I am going to have to sit down with our group and revise how we set up our drawings and other things, too.  I got something working, but it sounds like we can really improve on our workflow.  I'm going to take that template you uploaded and put it on our public drive and assign a couple of people to independently go through it and take notes.  Then we can meet and discuss how we can improve our workflow.

Thanks John!