10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2017 3:04 PM by Dennis Beeren

Display only 2D geometry in specific view of 3D-pdf (MBD)

Dennis Beeren

Dear all,

At the moment we are testing Solidworks 2016 MBD.

When we are making 3D-pdf's from our 3D-views with the help of our 3D-pdf template, all views appear to contain 3D information. Since we are having some performance issues (we're using very large assemblies) I wondered if there is a way to define some views in the template as 2D-views only. I can image that if a view only has to contain 2d-info that it would improve the overall performance.

Maybe there is an option (that I've missed) to lock a view in the pdf, so that it only can zoom in and out and not rotate freely.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject?

Thanks!

Dennis.

• Re: Display only 2D info in view of 3d-pdf (MBD)
          Casey Gorman

Dennis,

One suggestion to start out with, look at SW 2017 with MBD. The tools have a LOT more to offer.

In the mindset of MBD, one has to move away from the desire to have 2D. You are working from the 3D model so all information is 3D. The only way to create the 2D content would be through a drawing. You can do this and then attached it to the 3D PDF, but then why work in MBD.

You mention that you are having performance issues... can you elaborate? Is it in creating the 3D PDF? Size of the 3D PDF after creation? If we know a little more, there might be good work-a rounds. In SW MBD 2017 you can set the resolution of the 3D render which helps with size and performance of the 3D PDF.

Another area to look at are the settings in the Adobe Reader. There are a couple of settings under Preferences>3D & Multimedia that you will want to look at. One is to enure that "Enable playing of 3D content" is turned on. There are a couple of other settings that take into account how dimensions display, but are a little challenging in MBD 2016.

Just a few thoughts. I hope this helps.

Casey

Dennis Beeren

Casey,

Thanks for your thoughts.

I will sketch some background for my questions.

We have been using Solidworks for our machine design for many years, but just recently we started to design our plant layouts with Solidworks too. We made simple light models of all our machines and are placing them in a steel structure. Our plants are many floors high and on each floor there are several machines. The machines will be interconnected.

The initial idea was to make regular 2D drawings of the plant layout, but the performance when making these 2D-drawings with multiple cross-sections was terrible. Especially when modifications were made to the model it took ages untill the drawing was updated again.

In that perspective we started thinking of MBD, since the performance in the 3D-part of Solidworks was perfect. Very smooth actually.

We asked our VAR for a test licence for MBD and even took a MDB training to get familiar with MBD within Solidworks.

We already noticed the difference between SW 2016 and 2017 with regards to MBD as you pointed out.

As you can see, we need cross sections of each floor and also longitudinal sections for all axis. There have to be dimensions specific to each view to dimension the locations of the machines.

I attached a screen shot of one of the 3d-pdf we've made. All tips & tricks are welcome and highly appreciated!

File size of the pdf is approximately 200 Mb and switching between view take 3 seconds (which is not perfect, but acceptable).

Another question I have is, how am I able to get the displayed model to 'zoom to extents' in the pdf view.

Thanks!

Dennis.

Casey Gorman

Dennis,

You might want to look into using eDrawings as the way to view your MBD plant layouts. It should be faster and allow the view to make what ever sections they need (this can also be done in a 3D PDF). This should reduce the number of views you need to create.

Also keep in mind (IMO) MBD is more for manufacturing information where you would supply a STEP file to have parts made from. I am not saying your use is a bad idea, just that it made need a creative approach to use.

Casey

This icon should get you the full extent view.

Oboe Wu

Hi Dennis,

Yes, there is this option. You can assign notes or tables to a 2D Notes Area annotation view.

Please refer to the attached video captured in SOLIDWORKS MBD 2016. A simple 3D PDF is also attached to show the flat to screen notes.

SOLIDWORKS MBD 2017 supports more than one 2D Notes area to organized multiple notes, tables or statements.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

-Oboe