7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2017 1:55 PM by John Pesaturo

Assembly drawing question

Marian Suciu

Hello everyone, I have quite a newbie problem. Attached is my assembly containing two dies which must be sectioned according to this drawing. My question is, how I can do this while hiding my superior die? I'd really like to be enlightened on this matter.

Later Edit: Here are all the parts of the assembly.

• Re: Assembly drawing question
          John Pesaturo

Marian, first off ... That is one heck of a busy drawing. I do not envy projects like that. Man is that hard to follow, LOL.

Regardless, we will need your part files included with the assembly to try and lend a hand.

Marian Suciu

John, thank you very much for replying!

I totally agree with you on the drawing, since I don't like it either. It's quite heavy and I think that in a few places it is incorrect too (dimensions, area hatch).

Regarding the parts, sure, I will attach them here. I just want to understand the way you can cross-section anything the way the drawing shows (do I need to specify, something in the section options?); with parts, I never had any problems.

John Pesaturo

Marian, I was unable to open the .rar file due to IT issues here but hopefully this will answer your question.

Once you create your drawing you can sketch a line over the feature you would like to generate a partial section from. From there you should simply be able to click on the Section View tool within the View Layout tab. The section should only encompass what the section line touches. Hopefully this is what you're looking for.

Edited for clarity ...

Partial Section: (From a line sketched within the drawing)

Full Section: (Just using the section view tool without a sketched line)

Marian Suciu

John,

Sorry, but I am lost again. I've tried to do as you, but it keeps me showing just one die even though I made one tiny cross-section. Also, it's length it's obviously disproportionate. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Pic.png

John Pesaturo

Looking at your drawing it seems like it should be good. (Though, I had to make an assembly and turn the view display to Wireframe to have it shown as your drawing) If it's an assembly that has been pulled into the drawing I would make sure none of the check boxes have a component excluded from the section cut as it looks like there is only one mold halve being sectioned.

Otherwise you would need to have an assembly model of your components, (upper and lower mold halves) bring that into the drawing and repeat what you've done already. The difference in view length could simply be that someone had "cropped" the lengthy view. It's easy enough to do. Check out the screen shots below. My first version was with thin plates, I've made these much thicker to show you how to change it.

Before using the "Crop View" tool ... (The cropped view will be inside of the sketched box)

After using the "Crop Tool" ... (See the highlighted area within the View Layout tab)

John Pesaturo

Just for reference on the mold halves/assembly ...

Dan Pihlaja

Also, another note:

Inside your drawing, you can go to the left side and expand your view in the feature manager.

Then expand your assembly.  You can then hide any components that you don't want to show in that drawing view.

Also, you can create configurations of your assembly with the portions that you don't want shown suppressed.

Then utilize those configurations in your drawing views.  If you have more than one configuration for the assembly referenced by your view, then at the top of the view properties manager, you will see a selection to select which configuration to show.