2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2017 9:58 AM by Samuel Broadwater

Volume Heat Source for multiple light bulbs

Samuel Broadwater

I have a sphere with multiple light bulbs (20) that have a combined wattage of 14KW. I am trying to set up my flow sim so the 20 light bulbs have a volume heat source of 20KW within the sphere so I can measure the total temperature in the solid, but it does not seem to be working. The inside of the sphere is considered a white body, but I am really only concerned with what the outside temperature of the sphere is at this point in time.

Can someone take a look and let me know what they think?

• Re: Volume Heat Source for multiple light bulbs
          Amit Katz

So where exactly are you running into issues? Is this going to be an actual physical design? Your sphere is extremely thin, I don't see what is holding the bulbs in place or even how you plan on keeping the sphere from collapsing. Having such a thin geometric feature in your simulation means that you won't be able to get any heat conduction calculations, because in order to get a number of cells across those walls means your mesh will be very fine and your cell count will skyrocket.

• Re: Volume Heat Source for multiple light bulbs
              Samuel Broadwater

This is going to be a physical design. It is similar to a product we already have made in the past, just slightly larger. The light bulbs are screwed into place, but that is not modeled. The structure that holds it in place is not modeled either. At this point in time, we are just looking for a way to simply have the light bulb pattern function as a volume source within the sphere, instead of individual surfaces.