26 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2017 5:36 PM by Nigel Ball

referencing

Nigel Ball

Hi

Why does Solidworks just have an inability to pretty much always work as it should, it pi$$ing me off!!

Yesterday I made a base model multi part and sent all of the parts out using the 'Save Bodies' method, something ive done 100's of times

After creating all of my individual parts, I then opened them all and updated the properties

Then, I created a drawing sheet for each part & assembly.

All was ok.

Turned off SW at the end of the day.

TODAY

Open SW

Open Drawing sheets, notice that every single drawing view has a Build Error

Open main Assembly, notice that EVERY SINGLE PART also has a Build Error. WHY?

All Assemblies, Parts & Drawings reside in the same directory as the base model

The directory is included in my search paths

Why does SW randomly lose its ability to retain a reference?

SW Referencing.png

Thanks

A very frustrated Nacho grrrrrrrr

• Re: referencing
          Nigel Ball

Its worth noting that when I got down to part level, I don't have any errors. for example:

AAA.png

AAAA.png

in the base model, there are no errors.

If I edit the feature in the part, it links back to the base model correctly

There are no constraint issues

Christian Chu

Yesterday I made a base model multi part and sent all of the parts out using the 'Save Bodies' method, something ive done 100's of times

After creating all of my individual parts, I then opened them all and updated the properties

Are individual parts from "Save Bodies"? there must be something change when you edited these individual parts

As Dan suggested to load your models here so we can view, if you don't mind?

Vladimir Urazhdin

Some references are missing:

AAAA.png

Break missing references and you will be fine.

Kyle Craig

Hi Nigel,

if you right click a warning part in the assembly tree can you select "whats wrong?"  and if so, what does it say?

Nigel Ball

Hi

Not anymore.

aaaaaa.png

Everything is 'In Context'

aaaaaaa.png

Nigel Ball

lol yes mate one of the first things ive tried.

Kyle Craig

are there likely to be any further changes made to the master part files?  Or do you require them to remain linked to their parent part file which may have further changes?

As Vladimir said, you could try removing the reference.  You can Lock or Break the reference.  In the External references window you've screengrabbed above, choose "Lock All".

Best practice is generally to Lock rather than Break.  Once broken you can never unbreak.

John Stoltzfus

Did you check your settings as shown by Steven Mills - that is where it's at if you have no errors in the sketch or sketch plane as you show,.  Did you recently upgrade or making any setting changes??

Nigel Ball

Hi

Yes I have checked my settings. I haven't changed anything since yesterday nor have I updated anything. I literally turned SW off yesterday and then turned it back on today. When I turned it on, it was good for about an hour then popped up the error while I was adding dimensions in a drawing sheet that I created last night.

There are no sketches or edits in the parts themselves, all features are in the base model.

Odd though, the 15th turn of SW and turn on SW results in 2 parts becoming stable......

aaaaaaaa.png

Cheers

John Stoltzfus

Then you only have

Nigel Ball wrote:

Odd though, the 15th turn of SW and turn on SW results in 2 parts becoming stable.....

Looks like you only got another 120 to go then all should be well

Nigel Ball

and out of interest, why are the browser codes so elusive?

Dennis Dohogne

Nigel, since we cannot touch your files we are at a great loss to help you directly so there are going to be a bunch of suggestions of things to try and here are some from me:

1. Just for grins and giggles go to the top of your top level assembly and RMB on its name:  

Take a look at the options that show up and select Set Resolved to Lightweight.  Then RMB again and select Set Lightweight to Resolved.  Does this do anything to the warnings?

2. Expand all your assemblies and show us what the FM displays.  We see yellow warnings on the assemblies, but this could be a problem with one or more parts, with a mate, etc.  Open any and all assemblies/parts that have a warning on them and show us WTF is going on with them.

3. Suppress all the assemblies and then one-by-one unsuppress them.  What happens with regard to the warnings?

Glenn Schroeder

I can't help fix your issue, but have a question.  I know from reading posts here that a lot of people break a multi-body Part down into individual Parts, but I don't think I've ever seen a need to do so.  Do you mind if I ask why you do it?

Vladimir Urazhdin

This is my guess only.

The bodies of multi body part been created with references to each others.

When bodies have been saved as separated parts almost every feature ID has been changed and references went to nowhere.

Mates also must be very unstable with this technique as well.

Nigel Ball

Hi

They reference each other in the multi body part yes.

Why would the references go to nowhere? What is the point having a feature to saves the bodies as parts in an assembly if isn't always going to work?

I have done far more complex assemblies using this method in the past and this assembly is relatively simple.

I have found that I can save bodies again and have parts / assemblies that seem ok. I'm hoping I don't get the same issue tomorrow and its put me back a whole day. Nothing like doing something twice.

Nacho

Nigel Ball

But if new parts are created, wont they have a new ID referencing the solid body in the multi part? At least that's how it should work..

I have deleted all of the Save Bodies functions in my multi body part and started again. A day wasted but ill wait with baited breath to see if I get a repercussion on Monday. That will be the point of a Solidworks uninstallation and the satisfying skim of the CD across the lake behind me

Nacho