3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2017 10:45 AM by Scott Stuart

Solidworks and EPDM

Thomas Tversted

Hi all you wise people.

I work as a technical designer where we use Solidworks and EPDM. I also act as Admin on the EPDM system. I have a problem that I seek help with.

Part and assemblies are master in relation to text and naming drawings. I have the desire to disable the text from parts and assemblies, and manually decide what text should be in my drawing head. As our system is right now, we need to create a new party or assembly with new number and text if we want a copy. We often need to make three to four drawings with the same party or assembly but with different text in the drawing head. Do you have any good ideas for how to solve this problem?

• Re: Solidworks and EPDM
          Scott Stuart

I would use configurations in the models, with configuration specific properties. You can use the same geometry for all configurations, but have different properties for each, and a different drawing for each that references the configuration's properties.

Thomas Tversted

It's a very good answer and I've just tested it. Unfortunately unsuccessfully. There is no change in the drawing head even though I have made a new configuration with new text on my part. Could the PDM system block?

Scott Stuart

You probably need to remove the data from the custom properties in the model, and put the data in the configuration specific properties. That should get the drawing to refer to the configuration's properties.

You will also need to update the PDM data card, or create an alternate card, to get the card variables mapped to the configuration properties (use the SWCfgProperty block).