5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2017 9:15 AM by Stephen Lapic

Should I separate this data?

Robert Pickeral

Asking for a best practice: I admin a vault of engineering drawings and misc supporting files like .xls and word docs, some images. And I have a MS Excel spreadsheet for tracking the users and the related data in PDM. I'm thinking of putting the user data from that spreadsheet into PDM itself. And I'd even create a simple workflow so a lead from a department can use an Info Card and submit for a new user - instead of me tracking the data in a spreadsheet, the leads from departments can initiate the "request" and populate most of the data. But I'm puzzled if the data should be in the same vault? Or should I separate it into another vault? Your thoughts?

• Re: Should I separate this data?
          Stephen Lapic

Why would you not keep it in the same vault.  You have a separate workflow and I imagine a separate folder so you can definitely control with permissions who has access and who can view.  It would make it easier on you and others if you only had one vault to keep everything in.

Paul Wyndham

Also, you can't connect vaults or share info between them, so it would be a lot of work updating the same info in two vaults. I am with Stephen, just have one vault and set the permissions to allow access as needed.

Just a side thought apply permissions as much as possible at a group level, not at the user level. If someone changes positions and permissions are at the user level it takes a lot to go through and change them all. But if the permissions are only applied at the group level you just have to switch the group the user is in.

Robert Pickeral

Thank you for the reply Stephen. I do have the data in a separate folder and will use a different workflow. <br><br>

Below is a better description of my desired solution: <br>

1) How can I see the user data (in that folder only) with it's unique columns - only or that folder? I don't want engineering model or drawing columns in this user data folder. And I also don't want to see these user data columns when viewing folders with drawings. It's the displaying of data that is puzzling to me. <br><br>

2) I would also like to create columns for search results because I'll be needing to export this data to Excel on a regular basis due to Excel's easy data filtering. And I think the option for Excel export only appears when in the search tool. Any help would be appreciated. And thank you for the input!

Stephen Lapic

Robert, when you create the workflow you can have it set up that it only works in that particular folder.  You also need to modify your engineering workflow so that it does not work in that folder.  You can use categories for this.

You can create a special column set and then create a search card that references that column set.  Plus you can set permissions to who can access that search card.  This is pretty easy to do and you can customize to what is needed to export to excel.