1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 6, 2017 4:20 PM by Vladimir Urazhdin

Dimension Locations and Drawing Automation

Todd Carpenter

So I'm struggling with drawing automation and existing dimensions keeping their locations.  For example, the drawing setup looks like this:

Notice how everybody is in-line across the bottom and my one vertical dimension is still close.  However, after I populate the assembly, I'm seeing this:

I do size the underlying sketch to fit the incoming components, but I can't for the life of me get the dimensions to stay where they need to be.  So my question is, how are you handling this?  I've been thinking I'm going to need some way/method to reposition the dimension's locations relative to the assembly sketch so when it's resized, they stay the appropriate distance away from the actual components.  Has anyone done this before and how did you handle it?

Creo has a handy tool to do this where you can add construction lines to the drawing, and attach the dimensions to the construction lines so they are always consistent - I haven't found anything like in SolidWorks, (maybe I missed it), but I'm thinking of doing something similar - I can dimension drawing sketch items to the model to maintain spacing, but I obviously can't attach the dimensions to the drawing sketch items.

Thoughts?

Thanks