8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2017 8:40 AM by John Stoltzfus

Indented BOM (Sortof?)

Alex Lachance

Hello,

I am currently looking for a way to be able to do an indented BOM that reflects the BOMs of the sub-assemblies. What I mean by that is that I want my indented BOM to reflect the balloon numbers.

Currently, when we want to send a drawing in production, we use the master assembly to send information to our ERP. The information currently gathered is stuff like length, width, thickness, description, etc... Though, when we do an indented BOM on our master assembly, the numbering of the balloon does not reflect the lower sub-assemblies.

Here is an example of what I mean. The assembly 170180-E-003 has the 170180-E-002 assembly into it and the 170180-E-002 has the 170180-E-001. If you look closely at the BOMs, the numbering isn't the same. What I would like it to do is to show me the correct balloon numbers corresponding to the sub-assemblie's drawing BOM. It is very hard to explain for me so I hope you understand what I am trying to explain.

This is the BOM i get when I do an intended BOM.

Any help you could bring would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

• Re: Indented BOM (Sortof?)
            John Stoltzfus

Not the answer for you, maybe someone can get you what you need.....

I don't use indented BOM's, except for special Excel files that are used else where in our process.

I would suggest always use the "Top Level Only" in any assembly drawing, that way all your sub-assemblies are listed and then the drawings of those sub-assemblies will show the individual components.  This keeps the BOM shorter and parts easier to find etc....  To do it that way creates a Design Intent issue, where you need to plan which part belongs to a certain sub-assembly and I would say that is determined by your manufacturing process etc..  Parts that get welded together and then added to another assembly are a sub-assembly...

Alex Lachance

Hello John,

Thanks for the response. Note that I do use Top-level only BOM's in my drawing as shown in the first 3 screenshots. The Indented BOM I use is used to gather all the information from the top assembly and send it into production.

I want the indented BOM to reflect my sub-assemblies's BOM so that I can be able to send the information to my ERP and then generate a cut list from it reflecting the balloon's number with the assembly's number as a reference.

Would read something like this(if we take example from the screenshots above)

61     170180-E-002     FLAT BAR 1/4" X 2" 44W X 10 7/8"

62     170180-E-002     FLAT BAR 1/4" X 2" 44W X 23 3/8"

87     170180-E-003     U-BEAM 13 15/16''

88     170180-E-003     FLAT BAR 3/8'' X 2'' X 13 15/16''

89     170180-E-003     FLAT BAR 3/8" X 2 1/2" X 31"

And so on. I hope it is more clear what my intent is.

John Stoltzfus

Do you need the BOM balloon number for the ERP?  If your looking to collect information then would a Excel Macro work for you, it only reads within the folder that you tell it to search..

Alex Lachance

Yes, I require the BOM balloon numbers for the ERP and I would like to be able to gather them from the top assembly so that I don't have to open every assembly in order to send the information to the ERP.

I'm not sure what the macro you talk about would do? Would it generate an excel file from the particular folder you tell it to search? That would somewhat help but it wouldn't adress entirely my problem.

We work in split drives, one represents the components that can be bought, the other represents our standard components and the other represents our projects. When I work in a project, the project usually has subassemblies which are in the drive from the standard component.

John Stoltzfus

Alex Lachance wrote:

We work in split drives, one represents the components that can be bought, the other represents our standard components and the other represents our projects. When I work in a project, the project usually has subassemblies which are in the drive from the standard component.

That's kind of what I figured, however it would be possible if you use Pack & Go to a specific temp folder, then you could generate the excel file, however it would be without the balloon numbers etc, it would be possibly easier to just right click the BOM and do the Save As.

Did you check with your VAR?

Alex Lachance

No I haven't, I figured I'd check here first since I usually end up getting better responses on here.

Pack & Go could work as a last resort because it generally takes half an hour or more to pack and go one of our projects.

The solution I'm looking for is one that I wouldn't have to go through the whole process again if I ever had to do a revision.

I think the best solution would be to forget about the balloons since they are somewhat bound to change depending on what happens in your drawings.