23 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2018 12:27 PM by Andrew Kelly

Dynamic Highlighting

Nigel Ball

Hi

Why does this Dynamic highlighting turn itself off and how can I stop it? It turns off random, sometimes usually while am in the middle of a command like adding dimensions on a drawing sheet.

DYNAMIC.png

its worth noting that I use a 3D mouse although, I don't touch it in the drawing environment at all

Thanks

Nacho

• Re: Dynamic Highlighting
          Thomas Voetmann

It seems some of us are cursed with one random system option turning off at random times.

For me it is  "Automatically load components lightweight" and a colleague has the phenomenon present on "Enable spline tangency and curvature handles". I am sure other has it too, but on options they do not recognize. 

Peter De Vlieger

Nigel,

You aren't perchance using a 3Dconnexion mouse be it the Space Navigator or one of the higher end models?

If so then most likely there's your culprit right there.

3Dconnextion says it's SW's fault and SW says it's theirs.

Dan Pihlaja

Read this thread:

Why does the dynamic highlight box keep coming unchecked .....

I'll bet you have a 3D mouse from 3DConnexion...

Tony Tieuli

Dan,

I've been puzzling over this one for years. Yes, I do use a 3D connexion spacemouse.

I followed your link and used one of the methods outlined. No more problem. Or at least the problem is now easily fixed.

Thanks!

Dan Pihlaja

Glad to help.  I think that the problem originates with the fact that Dassault won't share the Kernel code (or whatever code they need to share) that allows 3DConnexion be able to conveniently program the 3D mouse in such a way that this won't happen.  The same thing with center of rotation.  Sometimes it gets buggy and moves all over the place.

With CATIA V5 there is no issue at all....works perfectly.

Seçkin Uslu

If you open an assembly with large assembly model, it will be unactive.

It will occur in drawing  if you open with lightweight or large mode

Nigel Ball

Well, I have a 3D Connexion mouse so I'm guessing that's the problem :s

Cheers

Glenn Schroeder

Nigel Ball wrote:

Hi

Why does this Dynamic highlighting turn itself off and how can I stop it? It turns off random, sometimes usually while am in the middle of a command like adding dimensions on a drawing sheet.

its worth noting that I use a 3D mouse although, I don't touch it in the drawing environment at all

Thanks

Nacho

Why don't you use it in Drawings?  It's a big help if you need to zoom in.

David Nelson

Just noticed that mine does not come unchecked, but still stops working.  Started a couple of weeks ago.  I use a regular mouse so Regular that it even has a cord still.  In a drawing I will select the 1st line then try the second but cannot select anything.  No all drawings, not all the time.  But happens on a lot of new Drawings.

Solution restart Solid Works.  Will work fine till it decides to quit again.  Twice today so far.

Nigel Ball

Hi

I'm mainly an Inventor user and a 3D mouse in the drawing environment will rotate the drawing sheet like a model so I leave it alone. its just habit

Glenn Schroeder

Nigel Ball wrote:

Hi

I'm mainly an Inventor user and a 3D mouse in the drawing environment will rotate the drawing sheet like a model so I leave it alone. its just habit

I can see how that would be a problem.

S. Casale

First problem to note here is the use of any AutoDesk product (other than REVIT).

cough cough

Nigel Ball

well in my opinion, Inventor walks all over SW I'm afraid. its faster, less clicks per action, its stable....

in my SW:

my dynamic highlighting switch off on its own

transparent selection through turns on & off on its own

I need to click every ribbon button 3 times to invoke it

the contraints are a 6 click process minimum

the list goes on and on.....

Glenn Schroeder

Nigel Ball wrote:

well in my opinion, Inventor walks all over SW I'm afraid. its faster, less clicks per action, its stable....

in my SW:

the constraints are a 6 click process minimum

Three at most, sometimes 2.

S. Casale

Nigel Ball wrote:

in my SW:

the contraints are a 6 click process minimum

Try a keyboard shortcut for mating "z."

Try a macro turning on and off transparent selection - used with mouse gestures.

Really keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures are the way to go.

Your multiple clicks thing may be that you just need to reinstall a new juicy version of SolidWorks.

Dave Bear

No disrespect meant here Nigel, but could your issues be related to a lack of understanding of SolidWorks settings and/or quick and appropriate ways to perform a function or process in Solidworks? Change is a fickle thing..........

Dave.

Nigel Ball

Well, maybe. But then maybe not. I'm 'quite' familiar with SW but not as much as IV for sure. Some things that frustrate me with SW that IV does in less clicks

Sheet Metal

SW has what seems to be a complicated method of setting up. its really difficult to get the cut relief on a fold that doesn't require extensive set up or additional modelling. In the real world, there will naturally be a cut relief becuase you cant cut something steel with a laser without losing at least the thickness of the cut. IV has the sorted that requires no additional settings

There are other SM elements that are difficult with SW

Constraints

At least for me, constraints are clumsy. When I refer to the 'circle', I am talking about the circular edge of the insert constraint. (I would have thought that seeing as I was discussing insert constraints, it be apparent what the circle was...). I have to click the circular edges which like up the parts, select the orientation, click apply and then select the faces that need to mate. Then the process is repeated for each additional insert constraint (including the orientation - or direction if you don't know what I am referring to by orientation...) in IV, you select the insert constraint, select the 2 circular edges and your done. from then on, you can repeat the constraint and maintain the direction in 2 clicks.

I could go on

I'm not complaining about SW, I'm just saying there are longer methods to complete the same task. I did read that there is a divide between SW & IV users, none of which want to explore the other side

Cheers

Nacho

Thomas Voetmann

Obviously you are most experienced with IV as you are using IV terms - Constraints vs mates, Insert vs. coincident etc.

Both programs has its pros and cons and you - perhaps because of experience - are biased for IV and I am biased for SW even though I have also explored the other side.

To me the differences are more about the way you work, than about features and clicks. It is about heritage (IV still have some AutoCAD sent) and about what kind of users it basically is designed for (Engineer, Developer, Designer, Draftsman etc.).

Still I must defend SW a little. Coincident and concentric mates with a total of one click taking advantage of smart mates (try look it up) and SW has way more mate/constraint types to make relationships which are very difficult or impossible in IV - I admit most users will never use them but they are very useful when you are in the situation. And I am one of those users who needs them.

Andrew Kelly

I've had issues with Dynamic Highlight turning off for years....  The culprit does seem to be the 3D Connexion mouse and driver.

Another user noticed that it happens when manipulating the 3D mouse while switching windows within SolidWorks.  This does seem to reproducibly turn off Dynamic Highlight.  Although that doesn't mean it's the only cause of the issue.