4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2017 10:58 AM by Bill McEachern

stress analysis on soda bottle

Abhishek Jain

Hello everyone,

It would be really helpful if someone could help me with my assignment. I need to do stress analysis on the soda bottle and determine at what pressure the empty soda bottle would burst. I have been tinkering around with the analysis wizard and have been testing different pressure and looking at the deformation and stress produced, but i haven't been able to understand exactly at which pressure the bottle will explode. it would be really helpful if someone could help me with that.

I have more more doubt. Can we fill the bottle with a liquid like there would be in case of a real soda bottle and do the test in outer space ( i.e. 0 pressure ). If so how do we fill the bottle with a liquid and do the analysis. It would be really helpful if someone can help me with these problem.

Thank you

• Re: stress analysis on soda bottle
          J. Mather

Abhishek Jain wrote:

It would be really helpful if someone could help me with my assignment...

It would be really helpful if someone can help me with these problem.

Were you given instruction prior to the assignment?

Are you permitted to ask your instructor questions for help?

Which Study type are you attempting to use for this analysis?

Abhishek Jain

Actually i have been given this assignment by a company where i am trying to apply for a job. So i am really trying to do it without asking the concerned person for any kind of help.

I am trying to apply pressure on the inner walls in the case of checking at what pressure the bottle will burst.
              But i have no idea how to put a liquid inside the bottle.
              It would be great if you could help me with anything .

Siavash Khajehhasani

You can either perform CFD analysis representing all real BCs including soda and atm pressure etc then export the results into the FEA module to perform stress analysis followed by a design study/optimization; or, you can substitute the presence of soda with variable pressure in FEA module then perform a design study/optimization to find out the critical pressure.

Bill McEachern

You don't need a CFD program - you can make a good guess with a simple hand calc of equating the internal pressure to the hoop forces.