I've deleted several belt features but sketch which they were mated to remains at the bottom of the feature tree forever suppressed. How can I remove these?
This is an update holder (see link below for description).
Right click on the top assembly icon and select Hide Update Holders.
2017 SOLIDWORKS Help - The Update Path for External References
Hiding these is one thing, but shouldn't there be a way to delete them?
As long as you have in-context relationships, they will exist. You could delete all of your external references, I suppose, though that would defeat a major feature of the software.
These are relations to parts that no longer exist. And they are not listed among the external references, broken or otherwise. But there is no way to delete them.
I've tried to replicate your image above and the only way that I could make it happen was to suppress the part in the tree containing the in-context sketch. Is everything unsuppressed?
Yes, it is.
Can you share the assembly and parts?
I found another way to replicate your example. I deleted the source part file for the in-context feature then opened the assembly. The assembly couldn't find the source file but the grayed out update holders remained. The missing part file still showed up in the tree but was flagged. Could the (missing?) source files be in a sub-assembly maybe? Or in a suppressed configuration in a sub?
Something like this must be what happened. But I have never deleted files from disk without removing from the assembly. There are no files missing from subassemblies. The files called-out by these relations are gone. I can dig them up and open them, but they have no place in any assembly. This bugs me, because if SW is looking to put these updates back together, that is a potentially slow operation that will never succeed.
I imagine that it would be no more of a drain on your system than trying to resolve the update holders for suppressed items. If this becomes a habitual symptom in all your assemblies, I think you should contact your VAR.
I am also experiencing this issue. I have hidden them in the tree of the assembly, but they are linked to a part that no longer exists in my assembly, and has been completely deleted from PDM.
Retrieving data ...