15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2017 9:02 AM by Dave Bear

Just upgraded to 2016

Rob Edwards

Hi all

My Laptop hard drive failed failed so I replaced it with a super sweet new Solid State / clean Win 7 install.  WOW - well happy, my old laptops certainly got a new lease of life, but I took the opportunity to upgrade my SW install to SW16.  Not quite so happy with that.  The assembly I was working on, no crashes at all in SW15, now this afternoon two already.  The last problem wasn't a crash, it was fixed by close/reopen but my entire feature tree disappeared!

I am still on SP0.1 - we are entitled to get upto SP3 when we came off subscription.

I am wondering if the upgrade is worth the trouble.  My options are reinstall SW15 SP5 or SW16 SP3.

Either way I will have to pay for the service pack media, seems wrong to me that I can't download bug fixes as I am off subscription.

Legally am I entitled to obtain the service packs through a third party?  ...and if so is that something someone here could help me with?

• Re: Just upgraded to 2016
          Glenn Schroeder

Your VAR should be able and willing to provide you with sp 3 if you were still on subscription when it was released.  And you might as well upgrade to it.

Deepak Gupta

Rob Edwards wrote:

I am still on SP0.1 - we are entitled to get upto SP3 when we came off subscription.

I am wondering if the upgrade is worth the trouble. My options are reinstall SW15 SP5 or SW16 SP3.

Either way I will have to pay for the service pack media, seems wrong to me that I can't download bug fixes as I am off subscription.

Since you're entitled to get SP3, you should get it. I would doubt as why you need to pay for media but you can ask you VAR to provide you with the download link for 2016 SP3.

Also why can't you download the SP3 from the customer portal as it is still available there?

Dennis Dohogne

Installing a service pack is like installing the software from scratch.  The SP install might look for existing files and if they are the same version then leave them alone, otherwise it will install the new versions of the files.  If I am not mistaken you are prompted for your S/N during the upgrade download and might be stopped there if the subscription is expired.  If not, then when you go to activate the software for that SP you will have to send the S/N info (the software will do that for you).  Alin Vargatu, being a VAR, can probably answer this more definitively.

Only going to SP3.0 of SWX2016 kind of sucks.  Though it wasn't plagued with stability issues like 2017 has been, SWX2016 SP0.0-3.0 did screw up the colors for the UI.  It was only in SP4.0 where we got back the option to use "classic" icon colors.

IMHO if a person is entitled to any version of the software then they should be entitled to a fully functional, most bug-free version.  That means SP5.0 (plus the hotfix that came out for SWX2016SP5.0).  Yes, even if a subscription "expires" mid-version such as you are indicating, Rob Edwards. Without this proviso SWX is nothing more than "Ransomeware", where you are sold a buggy program and must buy the next version to get those bugs fixed, even if it introduces new bugs!!!  SWX2016 and even more dramatically, SWX2017 are good examples of this.  What a scam!!  I wonder if John Morgan (Morgan & Morgan - A Nationwide Personal Injury Practice) would take this on as a class action lawsuit?  Stated another way, if a person buys SWX2016 (even without the maintenance subscription) they should be entitled to every SP for that version.  Period.

I paid for MS Office once and still get updates, even though newer versions of Office are out.  I was not forced to buy the newer version in order to get the fixes for the version I do have.  SWX should be the same way.

Rob Edwards

I've just got off the phone with my old VAR, they said they will raise it with SW to see if they can provide me with a download link. - Fingers x'd

Rick McDonald

Rob,

Are any of your systems still on subscription so you can access the download section of the portal?

If yes, then use that seat / license number to access the download area and do the download.

You can then put the files on disk and install from there.

I have done that several times.

My seat ended subscription a year before another seat we have here.

There is a function in the portal (that you have access to without active subscription) where you can link all your companies seats and if you have one that is still on subscription you will be enabled to access the portal as if your seat was on subscription.  I think it is part of the "Register products" section (but not sure - I can't find it now - but we are all off subscription here).

If you have / or can get the files for SP3 (that you are entitled to) you can install it without problems.

I, when we still had subscriptions, followed the practice of periodically downloading versions or SP's - even if my seat was not entitled to them - in-case one of the seats that was entitled had problems or we needed to upgrade, downgrade or reinstall. They take some file space but it is well worth having the downloads for the future if you ever need.

I am really surprised your VAR doesn't have the copies or know how to get them. It's not like you are trying to get a version from 10 years ago.

Personally, I really don't understand why, when you are off subscription, you should not have access to the downloads section.

If you are not entitled to use the version then you can't install it anyway so why not have it accessible to those who are off subscription but don't have the Version or SP that they are entitled to.  Makes not sense to me at all.  At minimum, you could have restricted access to versions you ARE entitled to.

There is nothing in the downloads section that you can install if you are not entitled so why should you be forced to jump through hoops, call your VAR (that may or may not be of help) Get frustrated, loose work time, and - from your bosses / companies perspective - it gives SWX a bad impression because you just cost your company lots of money in the lost time.  It's a Loose/ Loose / Loose situation.

Maybe someone at SWX will see this post and rethink this policy and make that simple change so it will be a Win / Win / Win for EVERYONE.

I would be happy to hear from someone at SWX if there is some valid reason why this section needs to be locked.  Then, if there is a real reason, they can address that segment and lock only it and release the general version / SP updates and make so many people (and bosses) so much happier.

Rob Edwards

That's good advice thankyou Rick.  Unfortunately we are a small company and have just 1 seat.  I should have downloaded the Service Pack before my subscription lapsed, it just didn't happen.

It was explained to us when we bought our seat that we did not have to renew our subscription to keep the software, and the upgrade to 2016 was included, but how are we ever to get SP5? even if we offer to pay for it I don't think this is possible.

We are currently in the process of starting recruitment for another CAD user.  Will we be able to buy another seat of 2016?  I guess we will have to buy the latest version, but ask for 2016.  I know we cannot afford two new subscriptions.  My boss has already asked me to check out Fusion 360, which is a shame as I'd much prefer to keep using SW

Jaja Jojo

Haha Fusion 360 its a software without a feeling of gravity for the first time of use. The company whom i working as a one man show adds another CAD user but it's for Fusion 360 cheap compared to SW and it can do almost everything what Inventor and SW can do. Sheet metal is in the preview version.

My boss choose Fusion 360 rather than adding another SW seat because it is much cheaper it has everything we need a CAD/CAM and its support Multi axis machining which is appropriate because my boss buy a new multi axis CNC milling machine.

Will as for me i'm a little thinking of being stocked to an old SW version.

Rick McDonald

Rob,

If you purchase a new (second) seat, you do NOT have to install the latest and greatest.  You can download and install and SP version of a previous year (withing the range of what is offered for download (usually about 3 years worth of versions)) - so you can get both seats on the same year version and even the same SP of the oldest one you have. (you can install any previous years version or SP if you have the software and your computer is of the proper configuration - I installed 2013 on my Vista 32 bit system with my 2015 subscription).

I am on 2015 SP5, My coworkers are on SP5, SP4 and SP2.x.  As long as they are in the same year they are compatible with each other (don't need to be on the same SP).

If you get the second seat you will be able to also download the newest SP your existing seat is eligible for and install that on your seat (solving your original problem).  If you want to update to the newest version (2017) on your existing seat as well as the new seat, you would have to renew the subscription on your seat to do that  - in which case you would have to back pay for the year you have been off subscription.

SolidWorks "Expired Subscriptions" will be switching to a “full backdating” format 1/1/16

Dave Bear

Hi Rob,

For what it's worth, I'm on SW2016 SP3 and experience no drama's at all. Having said that, you need to take into account that from my aspect I'm probably only using 10% of it's functionality compared to what you might be in a work-place capacity.

Dave.

Rob Edwards

Still waiting for a response from our VAR but in SW there's always a work-a-round !!

Gotta say, No problems as of today and I'm loving the new features from what I've seen so far