8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2017 10:54 AM by Dan Schleicher

Enterprise Professional

Dan Schleicher

I have already taken an administration class on Enterprise PDM back in 2010. I have 9 years of teaching experience in Solidworks at a local technical college. I want to be self reliant with PDM Professional. What else is out there as far as classes or material to read?

• Re: Enterprise Professional
          Philip Downing

Maybe taking another course as it has been 7 years to refresh some of your skills. Other than that I would consider creating your own PDM Pro vault and just play with it. Has PDM Pro been part of your teaching experience?

Phil.

Dan Schleicher

We have been on Solidworks 2012  & Enterprise 2012 until February of this year. This is when we upgraded to Solidwork/PDM Professional 2017 SP1. I have been learning on the fly. I have taught Solidworks, but not PDM. I tried to get access to PDM from the IT people, but was not successful.

Philip Downing

Quite a step! Hope you are finding it ok? PDM Pro is incredibly complex for "learning on the fly", when you say you have been trying to get access to PDM from IT, do you mean they won't let you create a vault? I will see if I can gather some documentation for you that may help.

Dan Schleicher

No, I asked for access to their administration password from the Technical college. I want to make a vault from scratch.

My biggest problem right now is time. My cad admin duties are on a part time basis. My regular job is as a Mechanical Designer. So I do a lot of things before 8, during lunch and after 4:30. I put in about 10 to 12 hours a day in. I also am taking things home to read.

Scott Stuart

I don't think there have been any major changes from 2012 to 2017. There have been lots of nice improvements, but nothing that would make your existing knowledge obsolete. I would suggest reading the what's new documents for each release to get familiar with the changes, and then refer to the admin guide for details about the new features.

Daljeet Singh

Hello Dan,

If you are looking for learning the administrative skills on PDM

You can do self-study till you get access to password for creating the vault and learn PDM
                    For learning online, I would recommend you to open your account on MySolidworks.com( SOLIDWORKS PDM | MySolidWorks Training ) and do this basic training
                    For learning offline, the default setup comes up with an administration tool guide document that elaborates the functionality of each and every tool, an administrator can use
                    For accessing the file on the computer where you have installed PDM, follow these steps

1. Open start menu from windows
                    2. Type Administration
                    3. Open Administration, This is basically the portal for making all the changes in each vault
                    4. After opening Click on the Help > Administration Guide
                    5. A document will open having all the info regarding administering the PDM.

I hope this will help you!!

Enjoy learning !!!

Regards,

Daljeet Singh