AnsweredAssumed Answered

Derived configurations?

Question asked by Jason McCrory on Jan 7, 2009
Latest reply on Jan 7, 2009 by Wayne Tiffany
Hi there,

Our design department is working on process improvements. One area we are tackling is streamlining our component library with configurable parts. Our products are hand-built with pulled parts - each of which has a part number, right down to the last nut, bolt and washer. All of the part numbers of these parts are attached to the part's properties in SWX so that when we produce drawings, the BOM is correctly populated with a part number and description.

Currently, we have a part file for each diameter bolt used on the floor (3/4", 5/8", 1/2", 1/4", etc.) and then 30 or more configurations of each of those parts with the length of each bolt. Every diameter/length combination has a part number, but those part numbers are arbitrary - they were assigned in the context of the system we use, not the physical realities of the bolt. They never change, but there's no way to derive the part number from the physical characteristics of the bolt.

I'd like to find a way to condense our bolt library into a single file, making one smart component that will size itself correctly, and come up with the correct part number as well. I was thinking that Derived configurations might do the trick, but I would still have a tremendous amount of redundant data to deal with...

Any suggestions?

Outcomes