14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2017 10:42 AM by Dennis Dohogne

Can I install 2017 now?

Dan Golthing

I'm still lacking confidence based on various posts.  I mean, 2018 beta is out and we're still not comfortable with '17??

Thoughts??

• Re: Can I install 2017 now?
          Chris Saller

A lot of us have been using it for 9 months without issues.

Matt Peneguy

That's a question Jim Steinmeyer may be able to answer.  I'm still waiting, myself.

Jeff Holliday

I think the best answer would depend on how you use SW. As Chris Saller states, many of us have been using it for a long time. This discussion forum is made up of many users (beginner-thru-expert) who put the Software thru a variety of uses - some of which were not imagined when it was being developed. You need to make a decision about whether the new functionality will outweigh potential problems for your use.

Jim Steinmeyer

Dan Golthing

Yes, I would probably go ahead and make the jump. We seem to have found workarounds for the "corrupt file" issue and for the most part it is happening very infrequently if at all. It is possible that turning off the auto-recover option has solved the issue though I wouldn't call that a "fix".

Dave Bear

What version are you currently using Dan?

I'm only coming from the perspective of "Do you 'need' to upgrade and tempt fate right now?

Dave.

Richard Gergely

This is very true. The main reason I see that you should upgrade is either your clients require you on a newer version or there is something very specific you need which is in the new version.

Bottom line is this unless there is something very specific that will help you it's most likely going to cost you time and therefore money.

Obviously if you are on a very old version (like 5+ years old) you would probably see enough benefits time wise over a year to pay for the time you lost upgrading.

I upgraded from 2016 to 2017 when one of my clients updated. I would have preferred quite frankly they did not. It ended up being half a days work I will never get back and there certainly isn't anything in 2017 that over a year will get this time back for me let alone the new bugs or persistent old bugs. I have spent at least half a day on the phone to my VAR. One SPR I had was supposed to be fixed in 2017 sp1, but it was not so now has been reinstated after faffing around with the VAR. Another SPR I voted on last week came back and said it was fixed in 2014 but in reality it was never fixed so went through the process of getting that SPR reinstated too.

Matt Peneguy

All very good points. I think I'll work with our group and see if we can't establish a "policy" about when we will upgrade, and how.  Though, 5 years is a long time and some of the models we get for motors, bearings, etc. may not be available as native SW files.  We may settle on 3 or 4 years.

I like how we handled testing it out on some smaller projects.  That way if we run into trouble we can redo the work without losing vast amounts of time.

One of the other guys took the lead on managing upgrades for AutoCAD.... I wish I could switch places with him....

Jim Steinmeyer

I can see upgrading to the last SP of the previous release, but "usually" the major issues are taken care of by then. This year I am anxious to see how the tab & slot feature and the ability to use Bounding box information in custom properties works. Those might prompt me to upgrade (sometimes I wonder if that is the correct term) sooner than might be wise. I will definitely be looking at the BETA this year.

Jaja Jojo

I think you are not clear, What's is your problem can you elaborate more

John Stoltzfus

2016 is the only time when we were on subscription that we didn't go right off with SP0 - and that was only based on the New UI debacle - There will always be one of us that will run into a bug/glitch in the software, and there will always be one of us complaining that SW2000 just don't work well either... 

Take a deep breath, hold your nose and jump

Dan Golthing

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

We are on 2016 SP4 right now.  So upgrade to 2017 won't be major improvements, but I feel that since I paid for it I should get to use it.

Or maybe SolidWorks will let us all hold off on paying our maintenance until the program is stable??  Then I think One and Two will be looked at even more critically.

We do big assemblies up to around 70,000 parts.  We will be using the program pretty intensely, so it needs to be reliable.  A few little glitches are OK, and pretty well expected, but major problems no one wants...