7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2017 8:41 AM by Deepak Gupta

Wrong version of tutorial?

Jay Doorly

i just installed Solidworks 2016-2017 for students and am having difficulty with the getting started tutorial (pressure plate) because it doesn't match the app;  some locations of menu items, icon symbols and mouse icons are different.  Do i need the 2017-2018 version?

• Re: Wrong version of tutorial?
          Deepak Gupta

Can you post pictures of what difference you're seeing?

Glenn Schroeder

I haven't used the student version, but they probably don't update the tutorials every year.  There was an icon change a couple of versions ago, so that's probably it.

Jay Doorly

For Deepak Gupta, i am not able to get screen shots due to Solidworks interpretting my hotkeys <windows key> > <Delete/Print Scr> as delete and raises an error while Windows fails to grab the screen. So, i downloaded 3rd party screen printer from cnet and tried again, but this time i needed to <shift> > <insert> but Solidworks kept erasing the mouse icon and the rectangular box i was trying to show whenever i hit <shift>!  So, here is a screen shot of the tutorial and Solidworks...

Pencil vs Xincircle.jpg

but Solidworks is missing the mouse icon that occurs after step 4, which is a circle with an "x" in it (and not the circle and pencil) and a rectangular box with 8 icons in it starting with a <boat anchor> and ending with the <exit sketch> icon.  And that's probably the best i can do to document what i'm seeing.

For Glenn Schroeder; Thank you for your answer, it's disappointing, but an answer just the same, and probably correct!.

Deepak Gupta

Depending on your OS, you can use the inbuilt Snipping tool. But again you may not be able to capture the mouse icon with that. So it's not SW but the windows issue. But you can use a screen recording (CamStudio - Free Screen Recording Software  a free tool) tool to capture the screen and this will capture the arrows/mouse icons.

Now looking at your screen nothing ha changed but I believe you're interpreting the steps/icon incorrectly. Check attached video and you can see the icon you're pointing. Once you click on the origin, then a relation is made and icon would change to the pencil with circle. And this is correct/expected behavior.

Dan Pihlaja

Deepak Gupta wrote:

Depending on your OS, you can use the inbuilt Snipping tool. But again you may not be able to capture the mouse icon with that. So it's not SW but the windows issue. But you can use a screen recording (CamStudio - Free Screen Recording Software a free tool) tool to capture the screen and this will capture the arrows/mouse icons.

Now looking at your screen nothing ha changed but I believe you're interpreting the steps/icon incorrectly. Check attached video and you can see the icon you're pointing. Once you click on the origin, then a relation is made and icon would change to the pencil with circle. And this is correct/expected behavior.

FYI, ESET EndPoint Antivirus labels CAM Studio (or at least the download link in the link that you provided) as potentially dangerous and blocks it immediately.

Todd Blacksher

Jay,

Looking at your screen shot, I can understand your confusion - I can't tell if you are still active in the circle command, because it should look like this:

It appears as though you have already drawn the circle, and are hovering over the center point of the circle.

Are your "Delete" and "PrtScn" on the same key of your computer?

(on my laptop, I have to hit the "Fn" button to access the "PrtScn")

Your circle icon (up top) should be highlighted if you are still in the command, and the feature manager should have circle information.

todd