7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2018 10:27 AM by Mike Dunn

"Feet and inches" not working as a dual unit

Michael Gera

For a particular drawing, I would like the primary units set to "inches" and the dual units set to "feet and inches" (somewhat unorthodox, I know...).

My default dual units are millimeters.

When I change the dual units to "feet and inches", I still see the duals as millimeters.

I am making the setting changes in Document Properties, Units.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

• Re: "Feet and inches" not working as a dual unit
          Glenn Schroeder

Please post a screenshot of your settings at Tools > Options > Document Properties.  It's not that I don't believe you, it's just to verify.  Also, make sure the dimensions haven't been changed away from the default.

As I'm typing this, I remember a bug I ran into a few years ago where if the default units were over-ridden from inches to feet and inches for an individual dimension then the dual units would switch to mm, ( I think I had the dual set to meters with one decimal) regardless of the settings in Units.  That may be what's happening to you.  I remember that it was a known bug, but don't know if it was ever fixed.  If I remember correctly I finally just placed two separate dimensions at each location (thankfully there weren't many), hid the leaders and extension lines for the one that I wanted dual and added the brackets by hand, positioned them where they needed to be in relation to the primary dimension, and Grouped them.

Mike Dunn

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I have been fighting it for some time myself. I'm on 2017 and I get weird situations when some of the dual dimensions will display properly and others won't This is an example. Only one dimension on this part won't display a fractional dual dimension. Also odd is that this drawing has 2 sheets and the same feature dimension on the other sheet does the same thing. Any ideas?

Unit Problem.png

Dan Pihlaja

Mike Dunn wrote:

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I have been fighting it for some time myself. I'm on 2017 and I get weird situations when some of the dual dimensions will display properly and others won't This is an example. Only one dimension on this part won't display a fractional dual dimension. Also odd is that this drawing has 2 sheets and the same feature dimension on the other sheet does the same thing. Any ideas?

Unit Problem.png

What you have set as a number here (I always use 256):

As an example, if you have 8 there, then if your fraction isn't a multiple of 1/8" then it will not show the fraction (unless you have "Round to Nearest Fraction" checked.

I always make it 256, just for this reason.  Then if it is a fraction, it will show up, and if I got it wrong, it won't.

Mike Dunn

Oh I think I found the problem. In the model of the part that cut had a dimension of 4.56". In the drawing the units were set up for 1/16" but I didn't check the box to round off to the nearest fraction. If I check that I get the right display or if I change the model dimension to 4.5625 I get the correct display without checking the rounding option. 

Unit Problem 2.png