7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2017 12:46 PM by David Hooper

Strange Beam Behavior

David Hooper

I have a very complex mixed mesh simulation with beams, shells and solids.  I have a beam that is splitting in two?  I have never seen this and unsure on how to make solidworks treat this single beam as a single beam that will not just split. It shown below in the displacement model.  The red beam and its corresponding blue bent piece are actually one part; however, in the model for some reason it splits in two? Any ideas?

If anyone has seen this before please let me know?

Thank you for taking the time to look at the model.

David

• Re: Strange Beam Behavior
          Bill McEachern

the joint dot where the curved one meets the straight one needs to be pink for one thing but if more that 2 beams intersect there you need to ensure that all the members you want to connect are connected at the joint. When the joint are open for editing you can RMB on the joint and pick what you want to connected at the joint dot. If you don't have a joint play the with the tolerance till it shows up.

David Hooper

Bill,

For forum.jpg

If you are discussing section A then I actually want that to be a brown dot since it is welded onto the plates.  All of the other brown dots of the beams near the center are used in a symmetry condition.  The brown dots near the solids blocks I want to be brown.

I am trying to figure out region B?  Why does this beam literally split at the curvature of the beam?  It is defined as one beam and is actually one part that has one feature?  If you have any suggestions let me know. If I enable soft springs it does not do this but of course I do not want to use soft springs in my final analysis.

The rest of the model seems to behave exactly like I want but this one beam is acting strange.

Bill McEachern

there is not joint so it doesn't know it needs to connect the two members and it thinks its two members as they are not connected. I would check the body and I would play with the joint tolerance till I get a dot of any color at that location. No dot no connection. If the feature that creates that is a sweep it may not like it. You could try and revolve and an extrusion in either case you need a "treat as beam" to set it it for beams. If it was some how set as a structural member you might try another way to create it. Obviously what you did worked on the other side but the beams functionality isn't highly robust at least in my experience.

Oh, hang on, you have contact conditions and they are being treated as solids by the looks of it. Just RMB in the tree and treat as beams. If you want it as a solid just merge the bodies in the part file and you can skip the contact conditions. The contact condition as bonded should work but you might want to check that the surfaces you want bonded are the ones in the selection set.