20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2017 11:30 AM by Ryan Navarro

JPG to PDF

Rick Becker

I have a project to scan a bunch of paper drawings and would like PDF files. My scanner only has .JPG or .TIFF output options.

I would like an automated or semi automated way to convert the >JPG's to .PDG en masse.

Thank in advance.

• Re: JPG to PDF
          Deepak Gupta

Install PDF printer. Once you've JPG, you can print them all again and convert to PDF using the PDF printer.

Glenn Schroeder

Hello Rick,

If you have Adobe you can scan directly to pdf instead of going through your scanner.

John Stoltzfus

Once you have them scammed, (ooops scanned) in your system then after you have installed the PDF options to your printer etc as Deepak Gupta & Glenn Schroeder mention then I would open File Explorer and highlight the JPGS and send to Printer, then pick the PDF printer...

Dan Pihlaja

Honestly.....get a different scanner.

I have a scanner/printer/copier at home that will do PDF file output.  It was under $100. I think it an Epson brand.  Can't remember model #.

The one we have here at work will output PDF as well and you can place a large stack of papers and it will do them all as one multi-sheet PDF, or as separate files.....your choice.

So...that being said.....

I am pleased to hear of your wonderful new project.

I believe my firm, Hiccup, Drinkup & Hold'mUp, ltd, inc., can help you. Either me, or one of my Top Rated Associates, will be pleased to come to take your papers and convert them.

As you know, the data in our files are priceless. A price cannot be put on the accurate and correct design of your project. We have the most advanced tools and methods possible to help you.

Just send papers to me First Class Airfare to my location. Arrange for ground transportation (Limo with bar service) along with accommodations at the closest 4-Star hotel. A small daily stipend will be required for food and necessary accouterments. Tipping is not required, but is greatly appreciated.

Hope to have your papers soon.

Sorry Rick. LOL....I couldn't help it...

Dan Pihlaja

Another option is this:

Windows 10 with Adobe Acrobat X pro and with plug-ins installed.

Richard Gergely

PrimoPDF is free.

You can just drop a JPG onto the PrimoPDF icon and converts straight into PDF and opens in adobe reader. Save button. Job done

Rick Becker

Richard, I installed PrimoPDF. How would I send a bunch of Jpeg's to it?

Richard Gergely

Just drop each one on the icon that should say 'PrimoPDF Drop Files Here To Convert'

So you would have your explorer open and just drag them one by one over it. This should them instantly convert each one into PDF and open a page in Adobe reader with the same name. From there it should be a matter of just save and close each of the open windows in Adobe.

Richard Gergely

OMG just tried copy and pasting a load of files and it works in Primo!

So Forget the drag and drop.

Copy all the files into memory then hover over the Primo desktop icon and paste.

It opens all of them in adobe in one go with all the names intact on every single file. It auto saves them where ever you copied them from in PDF format.

Ryan Navarro

To approach the problem from another angle - it's probably not the scanner, but the scanning software that is restricting you.

Are you on Windows 8.1 or 10 by chance?

If so, the free Microsoft "Windows Scan" app from the Windows app store is very lightweight and will scan straight to PDF

For Windows 7 I'm not aware of a generic free scan to PDF application. But what I see most often is people are just running the drivers for their scanner and using Windows Fax & Scan, not the "Utility" package that comes with the scanner. So I'd recommend checking the Download section of the support page for your Scanner, and seeing if they have some Utilities / Tools Suite / etc. They almost always have a Scan to PDF option.

If you still can't scan straight to PDF after those steps then I would investigate the options for conversion.

I also use PDFSam (PDF Split and Merge) which is free/open-source if I need to combine multiple scans into one PDF.

Rick Becker

Ryan Navarro wrote:

Are you on Windows 8.1 or 10 by chance?

No Windows 7 only.

Ryan Navarro wrote:

If so, the free Microsoft "Windows Scan" app from the Windows app store is very lightweight and will scan straight to PDF

How does this "straight to PDF" work?

I'm scanning with a large HP plotter.

Scanning software in built in.

Plotter isn't connected to any computer (plugged directly into network with IP address)

Ryan Navarro

Straight to PDF scanning is very simple, just choose PDF as the file type (provided the software supports it) and begin the scan. One downside if you are used to using the interface built in the scanner, is that you'll have to have a laptop or something with you near the scanner so you can initiate the scans.

Does the plotter show up / can you add it under your Windows Devices & Printers? If so there may still be hope to use a 3rd party Scan to PDF app.

I found one from searching called "Not Another PDF Scanner" that is also open source. No personal experience with it but it seems to have good reviews.

If the plotter doesn't show up / can't be added in Devices & Printers and/or it's using some proprietary interface then I think you'd be stuck with conversion using one of the other methods that have been suggested

Christian Chu

How about programmingly covert them to PDF?