4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2017 9:44 AM by Alexandre Gragnano

Addin versions conflict

Alexandre Gragnano

I developed two SW C# DLL addin versions

- I noticed that 2 addins cannot have the same Title:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\AddIns\{GUID_2016}\Title = "{Product}"
      Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\AddIns\{GUID_2017}\Title = "{Product}"

One of them will not be visible in SW Addin panel

- I noticed that DLL must have a different filename:

C:\Programs\[Product]\2016\Addin.dll
      C:\Programs\[Product]\2017\Addin.dll

Cannot be loaded together in same SW session

- So I changed the filenames but now I have a conflict whith namespace:

Addin2016.dll => [Company].[Product].A
      Addin2017.dll => [Company].[Product].B

Depending on the loading order of the addins, SW tries to get A class into Addin2017.dll and B class into Addin2016.dll

If anybody know the rules to avoid conflicts between versions, it will be very useful!

• Re: Addins conflict
            Alexandre Gragnano

Thank you Ivana, I already use different GUID's for COM visible classes (ISwAddin, ISwComFeature...)

The problem seems happens with internal calls. I did not set any GUID for my internal classes. Do I have to do it?

Any addin loaded single works nice but when they are loaded together, they become  unstable.

Alexandre Gragnano

I think I found my mistake. My addin dll's are registered as:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
                  CLSID
                      {_GUID_2017_}
                          (Default) => Company.Product.Addin
                      {_GUID_2016_}
                          (Default) => Company.Product.Addin
                  Company.Product.Addin
                      CLSID
                          (Default) => {_GUID_2017_}

They have a different GUID but a same ProgId.

- The "{_GUID_2016_}" resolution gives "Company.Product.Addin" ProgId

- The "{_GUID_2017_}" resolution gives "Company.Product.Addin" ProgId

- But the "Company.Product.Addin" resolution gives the last registered GUID (ex: "{_GUID_2017_}")

So, I suppose when SW tries to call a method from "Company.Product.Addin",

it tries to call the method in the last registered DLL (ex: Addin2017.dll).

If I look at: Key (COM) (ProgId definition)

A programmatic identifier (ProgID) is a registry entry that can be associated with a CLSID. Like the CLSID, the ProgID identifies a class but with less precision because it is not guaranteed to be globally unique.

So I understand that SW does not take into account the fact there can be several CLSID for one ProgId.

Am I wrong?

I am not aware about techniques to manage different addin versions.

I would like to keep the Addin2016.dll & Addin2017.dll for a certain time.

Alexandre Gragnano

During debugging, I finally found the statement which causes the problem:

var sheets = new List<Body2>();
                var sheet = surface.CreateTrimmedSheet4(...);
                sheets.Add(sheet); // Throws System.ArgumentException

Because I forgot to cast sheet into a Body2 type. It was in Dynamic type. So I now have:

var sheet = (Body2)surface.CreateTrimmedSheet4(...);
                sheets.Add(sheet);

I cannot say why this exception was thrown only when the two addins was activated together

and not thrown when addins was activated single... I suspect an internal Reflection process

to resolve an object type by ProgId. It working fine now, thank you.