11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2017 1:48 AM by Eyup Firat Aydin

Bonded Contact

Eyup Firat Aydin

Hello All;

After a while I dig into FEA simulations. However, I am not quite familiar with Solidworks.
      I downloaded some simulation case studies. However, I guess there is something was wrong with the case studies.

I compare the result of two studies.

001 - Results on the top ( The default contact conditions - global bonded contact, bolted connection and no penetration contact)

002 - Results on the bottom. ( I just thought - that is not a welded part - so I suppressed the bonded contact)

Which of the analysis should be correct?

Thanks

• Re: Bonded Contact
          Seckin Uslu

Selam Eyüp

No penetration contact is ok for bolted connection.

Regards

Eyup Firat Aydin

Selam Seckin,

What I cannot figure out is,
              In the tutorial set there are several examples for pinned and bolted assemblies.

And they are represented with bonded global contact alongside.

Do you have an idea about it?

Cheers

Seckin Uslu

Local contact set suppress the global contact. So If you define local contact set as a No penetration and global contact as a bonded, no penetration is valid.

Bolt  is a connector that connect two parts. These parts must behave like two different body. So you should define no penetration local contact set for touching surfaces

Philip Downing

Hi Eyup,

The results for both of these studies should be the same. As you only have one contact, the local no-penetration contact should be all that's necessary as the global contact will pick up anything else. As there is nothing else but these two to contact it should be fine to remove/leave it.

Bolts require a no-penetration contact to exist anyway as if the geometry were to intersect, the bolt beomces surplus to requirement and the software will not allow it. Does that make sense?

Phil

Eyup Firat Aydin

Hello Philip;

The definitions are like below...
                    As far as I do know bonded contact is for the parts when they are fully welded and it seems wrong to me.
                    However, in the tutorial files it is set like that...

Philip Downing

The results for both of these studies should be the same if the rest of the parameters have not changed. Can you attached the example so I can investigate further please? Like I said the contact set up if virtually the saem difference as one another as the global contact is not doing anything.

Eyup Firat Aydin

MANY THANKS!

I will forward in the first convinience...

Eyup Firat Aydin

Hello Again Philip and Seckin;

I was busy with some other things in the office. I am just able to send the model with analysis.
                              Here I made 4 different analysis with 4 different contact sets and I am trying to figure out what they exactly mean for the analysis.
                              Your kind help will be highly appreciated.

001 - default analysis in the case study. max stress 524.7 mpa

Bolted Connection

Contact set - face to face no penetration contact

Component Contact - Global contact set / bonded

002 - My study max stress 526.7 mpa

Bolted Connection

Contact set - face to face no penetration contact (Suppressed)

Component Contact - Global contact set (Suppressed)

Component Contact - Global contact set / no penetration

003 - My study max stress 522.6 mpa

Bolted Connection

Contact set - face to face no penetration contact

Component Contact - Global contact set (Suppressed)

Component Contact - Global contact set / no penetration (Suppressed)

004 - My study max stress 525.9 mpa

Bolted Connection

Contact set - face to face no penetration contact (Suppressed)

Component Contact - Global contact set

Component Contact - Global contact set / no penetration

Although the results and distributions are quite near, for more complex geometries and more complex loadings difference could be more- i believe.
                              And I do belive 002 is the correct analysis. Not 001 from the original analysis from the case study.

PS: The reuslts are different than my previous study in the screenshot at the very first conversation. I dont know why...