16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2017 12:54 PM by Aaron Torberg

Saving display states, is this a thing?

Aaron Torberg

Okay, here is my scenario:

User 1 creates an assembly drawing and uses the assembly display states to control what is hidden/shown in the assembly views.  This user saves the assembly with one of these drawing display states active and closes the drawing/assembly

User 2 Opens the assembly expecting to see a large assembly and instead only sees a small portion of the assembly Then user 2 proceeds to use the "Show with dependents" tool to display the model items that were hidden, not realizing they were messing up the drawing.  They save the assembly with a few changes and open the drawing to find out they have messed up a display state with no means of going back.

Does this happen to anyone else?  Is there a way of saving the display state, so that in the previous scenario, user 2 could just go back to the way the display state was originally set?  I know I can set the display state to hide or show new parts, but I am looking for something even more static than that.

• Re: Saving display states, is this a thing?
          Bjorn Hulman

Great question Aaron.

I think you'll find the answer will be yes it happens to people more often than no. There is no way of saving a display state. I guess you could create a duplicate display state for such occurrences.

Personally I prefer to use configurations to suppress parts/sub-assemblies rather than hide them in a display state.

Glenn Schroeder

Bjorn Hulman wrote:

Personally I prefer to use configurations to suppress parts/sub-assemblies rather than hide them in a display state.

Do you mind if I ask why your prefer suppressing to hiding?  In the scenario Aaron described I'd think the second user would be just as likely to un-suppress the components as to Show them.

Bjorn Hulman

I find that people will generally go looking for configs if there are a number of parts suppressed. You can't unsuppress a bunch of parts as easily as RMB>show with dependants. Its quite common for people to go about temporarily hiding a part while they work on an assembly without thinking twice, but suppressing is more intentional. I would use display states to work on an assembly, such as in a group scenario where multiple people are working on the same upper assembly at the same time. But to create views for drawings I like a more permanent approach.

Glenn Schroeder

I'm not aware of any way to lock display states.  User education and defined procedures might be your best option.  In the scenario you described, if User 1 had made sure to have the display state with all components shown active when saving the Assembly that problem likely wouldn't have happened.  And if User 2 had checked to make sure there weren't multiple display states before making changes it likely wouldn't have happened.

I know you said there's no way to go back, but hopefully there was a pdf  or backup of the earlier drawing so at least the user could re-create it?

Dan Pihlaja

Yes, technically you CAN save a display state.  But you have to use configurations to do it.  Behold:

In your configurations tab, RMB the display state at the bottom and select "Properties"

Then check the box "Link Display States to Configurations"

Now there is one display state per configuration.  And now your configurations will remember color and hidden toggles.

Rob Edwards

Im a single user and often mess up my display states by accident, so this must be a nightmare.  I wondered about the possibility of using a Design Table with block model edit to control it somehow, but the $SHOW parameter was made obsolete

2012 SOLIDWORKS Help - Visibility of Components in Design Tables

More googling uncovered many people with the exact same problem as yourself going back a decade.  Being able to 'Lock' a display state seems long overdue

Paul Risley

Not at my current employer, but my previous as project manager.

We had to make duplicate display states of all assemblies, mainly because interns had to check the assemblies out of PDM to add custom properties and the such to parts. So this way if they muffed up a display state for an assembly drawing we had a fighting chance of recovering it. We also had to do this for assigned views in our equipment assemblies. When you have 4 or 5 d-size layout prints for a plant it is kind of frustrating when you open them and poof the drawings are all messed up.

Aaron I feel for you on this one there is no way I know of to recover, except to overwrite your existing assembly with a known good backup version.

I am with Glenn on the configuration side. If you do use top down modelling and in context to customer provided files design, suppressing parts has a negative impact on assembly construction.

Jim Sculley

Aaron Torberg wrote:

Okay, here is my scenario:

User 2 Opens the assembly expecting to see a large assembly and instead only sees a small portion of the assembly Then user 2 proceeds to use the "Show with dependents" tool to display the model items that were hidden, not realizing they were messing up the drawing. They save the assembly with a few changes and open the drawing to find out they have messed up a display state with no means of going back.

User 2 needs training (and perhaps your whole group/department/company needs a more formal workflow).  Pure and simple.  Under no circumstances should user 2 be saving this assembly, unless they are opening it for the express purpose of making changes to it.  If there is an associated drawing, they should be looking at it (and any other upstream models/drawing) *before* opening the assembly so they know how their actions might affect it.

Also, using a tool such as PDM Standard or Professional completely eliminates this headache because User 2 can do whatever they want without affecting anyone else.  If they check in their mistakes, they can be rolled back and User 2 can try again to do things the right way.

Aaron Torberg

We do use Solidworks PDM Professional, unfortunately Users will check things out on a whim, and never look back.  And it does not completely eliminate the problem if user two checks out the drawing/assembly with good intent, makes the required changes, and then realizes they have messed things up.  Restoring their work to a previous version only causes them to do the work twice - this is also not productive..