AnsweredAssumed Answered

Salt water flow and gasket material/orings on a curved surface

Question asked by Dan Pihlaja on Jun 14, 2017

OK, so I have this little issue.

It is not specifically Solidworks related, but there is a heck of a lot of knowledge here, so I thought I would ask this question and see what I get:

This is going to be long-winded, so bear with me.

I am in the process of designing a fixture for an electro-chemical deburr machine.   The part that is pictured below is a part that will come in contact with the customer's part.  The two holes will have Cathodes that will stick through the two holes and into the customer part.  This part is driven by an air cylinder to come in contact with the customer part.  The customer part will touch the surface with the "x" and the curved radius.  These follow the contour of the customer part.

The process goes like this:  The customer part is loaded onto the fixture, the part pictured above (with cathodes in place) is moved to contact with the customer part via cylinders/linear bearings.  A flow of Salt water is then fired through the two holes pictured above (not a bath, the salt water has to flow through the holes around the cathodes and then into the customer part).  Then the customer part is positively charged, and the cathode is negatively charged....and 60 seconds later deburring is complete.

I need to put a seal between this part and the customer part around the two holes (individually, I can't put a single seal around both at the same time the customer part geometry does not allow this).  The seal doesn't have to have a perfect watertight seal (drains at the bottom of the machine catch and filter the salt water), it just has to limit the amount of salt water that is leaked so that almost all of it flows into the customer part.

The hole that is on the flat portion of the part pictured above is easy....I can add an o-ring groove around it.   The other hole however, is another matter entirely.  Oh, I can add an o-ring groove to it as well, however, that would require at least a 4th axis machine to make it.  While we DO have a 4th axis machine capable of machining said groove, we are seriously limited on how often we can use these machines because they are used for production.  So, I am trying to stay away from that type of groove.

Don't get me wrong...I know HOW to make the groove...that is not the question....

So, the question is:

Is there a good gasket material that can be glued to this material (PEEK) that would handle a salt water environment (I am finding this to be a hard thing to find.....as both adhesives and gaskets don't stand up very well to salt water)?

OR

Is there a better way to seal around this hole with an o-ring or other seal type?  Has anyone else ever run into a situation like this?

(Disclaimer:  I cannot share the customer part and this part pictured above will have more features added to it later as I finalize the design.  I was just brainstorming ideas on how to seal around the hole).

Outcomes