4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2017 11:16 AM by Steven Mills

Save drawing view as DXF/DWG

Ryan Doving

I would like to write a macro that iterates through each view in a drawing and exports them to separate DXF/DWG files. Is this possible in 2017? I don't see anything in the IView interface that would achieve this functionality. I found an entry in "What's new in 2013" that shows this is possible through the user interface, but don't know how to do it through the API.

• Re: Save drawing view as DXF/DWG
          Deepak Gupta

Sorry but API function is not available for this option. Please vote for  SPR #:834742

Check the macro by Terry Raymond here Save view as a DXF

OR

You may open the model and export the DXF/DWG from there OR delete the sheet format, save sheet as DXF/DWG, then undo to restore the sheet format.

Ryan Doving

Thank you Deepak, Terry's approach was going to be my fallback if I couldn't directly save a view to DXF. It looks like he copies the view and pastes it on a new blank sheet, then saves the new sheet as a DXF.

I have run into issues with some sketches not exporting properly when saving flat patterns directly from a part. It has been much safer to put a flat pattern view in a drawing and export from there. However, we frequently have multiple flat patterns on one drawing sheet, and I would like to export the flat patterns to separate DXF files.

I voted for that SPR and will keep an eye on it, but for now Terry's macro will suffice.

John Pesaturo

Ryan, does it have to happen from your drawing file? The only reason I ask is that what you're looking for is there in a part file "save-as" function. I don't really do macro's but it would seem that if the operations are already present a macro should be pretty straight forward. This again of course would be just from the part model though, not the drawing file.

Steven Mills

Also you can save a multi-page PDF then use another program to separate them into different files later. Adobe editor is probably the best. Though Adolix and PDFSAM are freeware that can do the same.