AnsweredAssumed Answered

Can't wrap sketch onto solid (which is 3D organic shaped)

Question asked by Femke Veldhuis on Jun 14, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 15, 2017 by Rob Edwards

Hi Guys,
I have build a 3D organic shaped solid body in Solidworks and I want to make holes in it in a certain pattern. I made a lot of patterns in Illustrator and I chose one to use on my model. I imported the picture of the pattern in SW and started to replicate this pattern with the right dimensions (I now you can import a Ai file in SW, but it gave a lot of errors and the dimensions were not right, so I decided to sketch in SW). I was still replicating this sketch when I wanted to try out how it would look like. I tried to make a wrap with the wrap feature, but I discovered that I was not able to wrap a sketch onto this solid. It gives an error: Wrap takes a planar, cylindrical, conical extruded or revolved face. I know mine isn't one of these, but I was wondering if it is possible to wrap onto a solid body. And if not, how I should make the holes I want (not by projecting, because it deforms the holes).

I'm doing my bachelor thesis for a company right now and I'm not sure If Im allowed to share the designs, but I tried to make clear what I want by the following pictures.

The solidbody has similar curves as the model in this picture.

maxresdefault.jpg

And I want to wrap a pattern like this:

Knipsel.JPG

I hope someone can help me.

Kind regards,
Femke

Outcomes