9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2017 3:21 PM by Seth Berry

Can you run Simulation 2016 with Solidworks 2017?

Seth Berry

We are considering the idea of continuing to update Solidworks but not Simulation if we're able. We're satisfied with the features of Simulation 2016, but would like to continue updating the main Solidworks program.

My question is, are you able to do that?

Thanks for any input.

Seth

• Re: Can you run Simulation 2016 with Solidworks 2017?
          Philip Downing

Hi, this is only possible if you have purchased the Simulation package and SOLIDWORKS as two independent license (check this with your VAR). Normally licenses are purchased with a package of SW, for example SW Premium and Simulation Professional purchased together would entitle you to a single serial number, therefore making it impossible to upgrade one and not the other. Whereas purchasing them independently would entitle you to two different serial numbers allowing the choice of which program to upgrade.

Just out of curiosity why do you not want to upgrade the Simulation package?

Christian Chu

Haven't tried it yet but if you can open sw2017 file from 2016 (sp5), then I don't see why NOT?

Seth Berry

I called in to our Solidworks support line and they said it's not possible to have one version out of date from the other. You would apparently need to keep an old installation of Solidworks of the same version as Simulation to still use it.

Philip Downing

That is what I would expect, which is why I suggested the seperate license solution as above. As Simulation is an add-in it must coincide with the version of SOLIDWORKS it lives within. Is this an issue? There is nothing wrong with running simultaneous version of SW. The only issue you may encounter is running studies on future parts if they were modelled in the newer version.

I would strongly advise against Siavash's suggestion regarding saving the file as an alternative format in order to run it in an older version as this will detract even further from the original model geometry and the nature of the simulation is making enough asumptions as it is. It could make your studies a lot more inaccurate depending on the study type.

Phil.

Siavash Khajehhasani

Hi Seth,

I am sure you already got your answer; but here is my 2 cents (didn't have time to read all responses)

It is one way or other: you can save money by not purchasing the sim licence, but you need to spend time to setup the case made in higher version. At this point you may wonder if I answered YES to the question of if possible to run simulation on higher versions of SW; that's right! Now getting back to the point of spending time: if you save your model as para-solid or generic formats of IGES, STEP etc, you certainly can perform analysis with any simulation version, but some additional time and skills are needed to setup the model. Or other, better approach, is to have the compatible simulation version and take advantage of other functionalities as well.

Hope it helps.

- Siavash