2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2017 3:17 AM by Pdm Admin

Conductor size calculation in Electrical routing

Pdm Admin

I struggling with the routing of a cable.

First I create a cable in Solidworks Electrical schematics. I set the Conductor section (mm2) to 0.14. This is the diameter of a single core.

The Diameter (mm) is set to 6.7 (outer diameter of the cable).

I expect that Solidworks use the 0.14 number for calculation of the diameter of the routed wires. So when I calculate the diameter of the wire by myself, it results in 0.211 mm. Root of 0.14 / Pi.

But when the cable is routed in Solidworks, and I check the wires, it says that the wire diameter is 2.11 mm, and size/gauge gives 0.00014.

So my question is, how do Solidworks the calculation of a wire diameter, when you only give the size (mm2) of a wire?

It look likes that Solidworks makes the wire a factor 10 greater.

But when I use 0.014 instead of 0.14, the routed wires has also a diameter of 2.11mm.

• Re: Conductor size calculation in Electrical routing
          Johnathen Lieber

Hello, there is a lot of information here that I am attempting to understand so please be patient with me. 

First question is are you using SOLIDWORKS Routing or SOLIDWORKS Electrical?  These are two different application (and there are actually two different forums sections) that behave differently in respect to your question.

The answer to your question will be based on the answer to my question.

FYI:  By default SOLIDWORKS does not do any calculation of wire size(Core, outer or otherwise).  Everything is based on your input and while you can input the the core size it is not modeled in 3D.  Only the outside diameter is modeled.