11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2017 2:31 AM by Ales Svoboda

File with many configurations takes long time to display data card or preview

Ales Svoboda

Hi,

Does anyone saw similar problem in SolidWorks PDM 2016 SP5? I attached problematic part with many configurations. It takes 5+ min. to display Data Card od Preview in windows explorer tab (see on video, in the end I just killed explorer). Other files without configurations works well.

Sometimes when I try it after an hour, the problem is gone.

We are reindexing and rebuilding database every night.

See the server CPU when I click on problematic part.

Thanks for help.

• Re: File with many configurations takes long time to display data card or preview
          Tim Webb

Hi Ales,

This can be driven by numerous factors:

• This can happen with files that have a data card with more than 50 controls (variables) on them
          • Database maintenance status
          • Distance to the database server from the current location
          • Network latency, bandwidth, switches, and routers in the local network. One client with a 10mpbs switch on the engineering floor killed their Gigabit line to the building.
          • Whether the database server is virtual or physical
            • If virtual, then how many other servers are on the "hypervisor"
            • If virtual, does the db server have dedicated CPUs
            • If virtual, how many total vCPUs are available
            • If virtual, what type of affinity rules are in use
            • etc.

These might help troubleshoot.

Hope this helps,

Tim CEPA

Believe in The Q!

• Re: File with many configurations takes long time to display data card or preview
              Ales Svoboda

Thanks all for suggestions. I Will Check it with our IT admin and let you know.

One note to properties and variables - I think It must be server side problem because the problem sometimes it is and sometimes it is not.

Ales Svoboda

Hello Tim, below are answers to asked questions:

• This can happen with files that have a data card with more than 50 controls (variables) on them

I will try make clean file without custom properties and empty data card 

• Database maintenance status

Rebuild index – Mo,Tu,We,Th,Fr,Sa,Su

Check, Shrink – Sa

Full Backup - Su

• Distance to the database server from the current location

Hypervisor 4x1Gb-master switch 1Gb -2x1Gb switch-100/1000Mb client 

• Network latency, bandwidth, switches, and routers in the local network. One client with a 10mpbs switch on the engineering floor killed their Gigabit line to the building.

None 10Mb client

• Whether the database server is virtual or physical
                  • If virtual, then how many other servers are on the "hypervisor"

10 servers 

• If virtual, does the db server have dedicated CPUs

Dedicated 4 CPU from 12 CPU

• If virtual, how many total vCPUs are available

12 CPU 

• If virtual, what type of affinity rules are in use

12GB RAM for DB server from 128GB

Many Thanks

Ales Svoboda

So I tested create empty data card and created new file with it and have to say that it is the issue. The response is fast as file without configurations. But what can cause that sometimes the problematic file with many configurations works well?

We tested make SQL maintenance when the problem comes and it resolved the issue too.

For your imagination the problem comes amost every day.

Tim Webb

I forgot to ask, is this SOLIDWORKS PDM Pro or PDM Standard?

This looks good. Although I'm concerned about a 10Mb client. Usually that will kill performance.

Your idea to create a new file with a new card is good but may not resolve the issue unless you test it on the actual file you originally had the issue with KROUZEK DIN 471.SLDPRT. In a test vault, try taking your regular data card offline by removing the extensions and make your new card the file card for the file in question. Give the new data card only 10-12 controls (variables) and then open the PDM client and see if that fixes it.

Tim CEPA

Believe in The Q!

Ales Svoboda

It is PDM Pro 2016 SP5. 15 users.

No, we have none 10Mb client. Today the problem persisted for 3 houres, so I don´t think so that someone could slow down network.

I just copy KROUZEK DIN 471 to new directory where is new empty data card and it resolved issue. We have none test vault.

Our IT told me that on archive server, when I click on problematic part the disk starts to read and write? very small data sets. I don´t know if it can mean something.

Tim Webb

Sounds like the number of data card controls is the root cause.

Your IT is correct, PDM is very chatty. The "volume" of communications back/forth with the archive and db servers is very high but the packet sizes are very small. Every click inside PDM runs a small query to the db server and returns to the client to rebuild the interface visually, literally every click. If your IT uses wireshark, you can actually see the packets being sent back/forth, such as when a folder is clicked and you end up navigating into a folder with files, the db server sends back data to the client view that builds the window split, the preview tab, data card tab, version, BOM, contains, and where used tabs.

When you click a file, another query hits the db server and the data sent to the client view contains enough structure to build the data card with every control's contents along with all the configurations.

When you click the BOM tab, a query hits the db server and it returns the BOM contents and builds that entire interface.

After I learned this, I began training my users and clients how to navigate with as little actual clicks on folders or files to avoid heavy network traffic, such as:

1. Use the search to drill down to data you need whenever possible.
                                2. Navigate PDM folders using the folder pane on the left and NOT by double clicking folders in the file pane on the right. Fewer queries are issued this way.
                                3. Before selecting a file, select the version tab.
                                4. If you have the preview tab selected, the client will perform a get operation on the file to be able to preview it
                                5. Disable edrawings viewer so only a bmp is displayed, which helps.
                                6. If you select a file with lots of data card controls, it can also be a resource drain.
                                7. If you select the BOM tab, that can really slow down your interface.
                                8. If you select the Contains or Where used tabs, these can be as resource intensive as the BOM tab depending on the file.
                                9. Right clicks on a huge selection of files can cause slow downs if there are numerous transitions available for all the files currently selected, which can lead to the right click menu not displaying for a while.

I basically try not to actually select anything until I need it.

Hope this helps.

Tim CEPA

Believe in The Q!

Tim Webb

If my post resolved your issue, kindly mark my response as correct.

Thanks,

Tim CEPA

Believe in The Q!

Vladimir Urazhdin

Add Rebuild/Save Mark to all configurations. File gets larger, but rebuilds faster.

Jason Capriotti

We have "fastener" parts with far more configurations, 200-300 compared to your 76. We don't have the issue. One difference though is our file only has about 10 custom properties per configuration with maybe 8 linked to the PDM data card. You have 50 properties in your model, are they all linked to the PDM data card? As Tim said, that could be the problem.