Api issue

Luigi Piron

Hy guys, i nave to take a measure by API

When i preselect the enttity all is ok

The 1 entity is a Plane

The 2nd is a coordinate system

If i create measure it give me an error

The reason is that it doesn t take the origin of the coordinate system

Did anybody know how to bypass this bug?

Or Tell me whats wrong?

Thanks in Advance

• Re: Api issue
          Dave Bear

Hi Luigi,

Have you tried using the magnifying glass (Search Bar) at the top right hand corner of the screen to search for relative posts about this. I'm sure you'll find something.

Dave.

Amen Allah Jlili

Hi there!

I have never been able to select the coordinates system in SOLIDWORKS. It's a design flaw of the API. I might be wrong. The thing is I don't really use the IMeasure interface because the results it gives are so ultraprecise (10^(-10m) precision) - which is something you don't really need especially if you're calculating perpendicularity between edges (for example) with a tolerances values in the 10^-3mm range - I have yet to see an application that plays at the angstrom level in SOLIDWORKS.

If you're selecting a plane (IRefPlane), then you're having access to the RefPlane::CornerPoints property. This gives you four IMathPoint that belongs to the plane.

Next, traverse all the features to get the coordinate system. Use Feature::GetDefinition to get the data object for the coordinate system feature (ICoordinateSystemFeatureData).

This object has a property called OriginEntity. It will return Entity object. You need to figure what entity type this object is in order to cast into the right type and then get the coordinate or the origin.

What is left to you is some simple math.

Btw, this is blazingly faster than using Measure.

Cheers,
            Amen
            CADHero.com

Luigi Piron

thank you everybody,

i notice that i'm not be done clear with my question

i'm in a context of assembly , i'm not in a part , and i need recursively take a measure beetween coordinate system inside a part

and planes inside other parts

Amen Allah Jlili

A coordinate system has a transformation matrix that you can use.

Luigi Piron

hy Amen you say truu

but if u have a component with a secondary coordinate system named for example "pippo" the transform Matrix

Option Explicit

Public Enum swUserPreferenceStringValue_e

swFileSaveAsCoordinateSystem = 16

End Enum

Sub main()

Dim swApp                   As SldWorks.SldWorks

Dim swModel                 As SldWorks.ModelDoc2

Dim swDocExt                As SldWorks.ModelDocExtension

Dim swSelMgr                As SldWorks.SelectionMgr

Dim swFeat                  As SldWorks.Feature

Dim swXform                 As SldWorks.MathTransform

Dim sAxisName               As String

Dim bRet                    As Boolean

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

Set swDocExt = swModel.Extension

Set swSelMgr = swModel.SelectionManager

Set swFeat = swSelMgr.GetSelectedObject5(1)

Debug.Print "File = " & swModel.GetPathName

Debug.Print "  Current coordinate system = " & swModel.GetUserPreferenceStringValue(swFileSaveAsCoordinateSystem)

Debug.Print ""

sAxisName = swFeat.Name

Set swXform = swDocExt.GetCoordinateSystemTransformByName(sAxisName)

Debug.Print "  " & sAxisName

Debug.Print "    Origin                    = (" & -1# * swXform.ArrayData(9) * 1000# & ", " & -1# * swXform.ArrayData(10) * 1000# & ", " & -1# * swXform.ArrayData(11) * 1000# & ") mm"

Debug.Print "    Rotational sub-matrix 1   = (" & swXform.ArrayData(0) & ", " & swXform.ArrayData(1) & ", " & swXform.ArrayData(2) & ")"

Debug.Print "    Rotational sub-matrix 2   = (" & swXform.ArrayData(3) & ", " & swXform.ArrayData(4) & ", " & swXform.ArrayData(5) & ")"

Debug.Print "    Rotational sub-matrix 3   = (" & swXform.ArrayData(6) & ", " & swXform.ArrayData(7) & ", " & swXform.ArrayData(8) & ")"

Debug.Print "    Translation vector       = (" & swXform.ArrayData(9) * 1000# & ", " & swXform.ArrayData(10) * 1000# & ", " & swXform.ArrayData(11) * 1000# & ") mm"

Debug.Print "    Scale                     = " & swXform.ArrayData(12)

End Sub

this method doesn't work

how can i transform the coordinate system that is inside a component at the level of assembly ??

Luigi Piron

Hy Amen , i need to verify the orientation of the secondary Coordinate system of the component in the assembly space , in order to verify if ,,,,,for example ....the z axis of the secondary Cs is concord or in opposite direction rispect the global Cs of the assembly.do you think is it the right method ??

Amen Allah Jlili

I'm not sure I fully understand you Luigi. You can still apply the transform matrix on the (0,0,1) zee vector to get its orientation with the regards to the assembly's coordinate system? Actually, I think you can get the entity that make the zee axis for the coordinate system of the component, then you can transform it to the assembly to see its orientation.