1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 12, 2017 8:49 AM by Tony Tieuli

What is the best way to create toolpaths to mill a 3d solidworks object (or 2d - flat cuts)?

Brad Presler

Is there a built in feature or add-on feature that allows direct toolpath (g-code) creation for both 2D cuts and 3D cuts from a Solidworks file?

Thank you,

Brad

• Re: What is the best way to create toolpaths to mill a 3d solidworks object (or 2d - flat cuts)?
          Tony Tieuli

I seem to remember that when I first purchased Solidworks 7 years ago there was a free CAM program bundled with the software. I think it was a "light" version. I can't remember what it was called.

The reason I remember this is that I also purchased MasterCam for Solidworks at the same time (from a different vendor) and my Solidworks Value Added Reseller tried to convince me to use the bundled Cam software instead of buying MC4SW.

MC4SW runs inside of Solidworks. It's a full featured CAM program. When I bought it, it was not a "mature" program and many of the features of stand alone MasterCam were not available in MC4SW. They've made a lot of progress in getting MC4SW much closer to the stand alone version. One nice thing about MC4SW is that if you change your model geometry after putting toolpaths on, in most cases you can update your toolpaths by clicking one icon.

It's not cheap but if you need to do a lot of CAM programming it works well.