AnsweredAssumed Answered

Create new instance of SOLIDWORKS

Question asked by Jorn Bjarning on Jun 10, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 16, 2017 by Jorn Bjarning

Hi,

It seems so basic that I almost can't believe I am asking this, but I am stuck and I need a little input. Normally when developing SOLIDWORKS applications you want the application to connect to an existing instance (session) of SOLIDWORKS - if running. And then if not - you will create an instance. I have a request for a SOLIDWORKS application where a new instance of SOLIDWORKS should always be created. No matter if SOLIDWORKS is already running or not.

And why do I want that? The application is a task-scheduler-like application which is supposed to work hidden and silent for the user (generating PDF etc.) while the user can continue to work with SOLIDWORKS in another session.

I thought that using...

swApp = CreateObject("SldWorks.Application")

... would ALWAYS create a new instance of SOLIDWORKS, but it doesn't. I have tried all the other methods I know of to create the swApp object but they all connect to the existing SOLIDWORKS session instead of creating a new one. It's funny I have read many posts where the problem was the creation of a second instance where connection to an existing session was wanted - but I didn't find any useful information in these posts that i could use.

A work around might be to have the user start the second session of SOLIDWORKS first and then start the application but I would prefer to have the application start the second SOLIDWORKS instance.

Any ideas?

Outcomes