11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2009 7:22 PM by Charles Culp

Custom Properties Tab in Task Pane

Rio Benson
      This one is primarily to SolidWorks.

What is the purpose of the Custom Properties Tab in the SW 2009 Task Pane? Why doesn't it work?

I suspect that it has something to do with Custom Properties, with which I am quite familiar; and I suspect it may have something to do with Configurations, with which I am also familiar. However, you sure couldn't prove it by clicking Task Pane > Custom Properties Tab > Property Tab Builder > ? [help?].
      What's more, the Create New button seemingly takes you nowhere.

I've been in this business for a few years; over 45 to be exact. I've been using CAD for more than half of them, and SW for the last 10. I also come from a strong background in Defense work where the process of configurations was originally developed. But, for the life of me I can't figure out what you are attempting to say or do with this entire subject. The whole thing sets a new standard in cryptology!

This leads me to believe that this feature was not yet ready for "prime time". If that is the case, why is it there? Doesn't anyone review this stuff? If they do, I would sure like to apply for their job, because they're worthless.

Perhaps you can explain this new feature to us in layman's terms? If you need help with Configuration Nomenclature, I'll be happy to assist you in any way I can. Once we learn how to communicate with each other, together we might be able to turn this half-baked feature into something that actually works -- and that design professionals, like myself, can relate to and use!

Does that sound like a plan, or not?

• Custom Properties Tab in Task Pane
          Anna Wood
          Rio,

Download the SW2009 What's New pdf.

http://files.solidworks.com/Su.../English/whatsnew.pdf

On page 15 is info on the Custom Properties Tab Builder.

Cheers,
              Anna Wood
              After a search on Google, here are a few links for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGUZwH96-2k

http://rocksolidperspective.co...ustom-properties-tab/

http://www.rickyjordan.com/200...ustom-properties.html

There are more, do a Google search on SolidWorks 2009 Custom Properties

Cheers,
                  Rio Benson
                  Thanks Anna,

I wasn't expecting to find the information I was seeking about the Custom Properties tab in the location you mentioned in your first reply, and particularly in the locations you mentioned in the second. I would expect to find something indexed in the general SW help files, which would make sense, wouldn't you think?

Call me old fashioned, if you wish (I don't take it as an insult), but I do believe there is a place for everything -- and everything should reside in its place. It makes life so much easier when logic is applied to the task at hand. Case in point, why would I look on U-Tube for SW info when we have SW sponsored forums? If it is because of the literary freedom offered by non-SW sites, I'm not sure I'd want to look there, anyhow.

At any rate, I really do appreciate your replies; thanks, again.

Rio
                      Jim Wilkinson
                      Hi Rio,

Unfortunately, as documented in the SolidWorks 2009 Release Notes, the new functionality added in SolidWorks 2009 is not included in the Index of the help and cannot be accessed through that particular method. You can only access new functionalility of SolidWorks 2009 through context sensitive help, the Contents tab and/or Search tabs in the help interface.

The context sensitive help for the Property Tab Builder (the help button in the upper right) was not working correctly in SolidWorks 2009 SP0. According to our database, this was fixed in SolidWorks 2009 SP01 (which I notice your signature says you are using). Is that button still not working for you in SP01? If not, I will have to look into why not. It could be something wrong with the patching of the Property Tab Builder (since it is a separate application from SolidWorks).

An easy way to get to the online help for the Property Tab Builder is to bring up the main SolidWorks Help from SolidWorks, then go to the Search tab and type in "property tab builder". One of the topics shown has the title of "Custom Properties in the Task Pane". That topic explains what the interface in the task pane is all about and there is a hyperlink in the first paragraph of the "Customizing the Custom Properties Tab" section called "Property Tab Builder" that brings you to a topic that describes how to use the Property Tab Builder (it links to many other sub-topics describing the different types of tasks and controls that you can use in the Custom Property Tab).

I hope all of the information that you need is there. I am sorry that the help button is not working properly for you and that you could not find the information using the Index.

I hope this helps,
                      Jim
                          Anna Wood
                          Rio,

I kinda assumed you had already done a Search thru the SW Help and had not found enough info to help you with the new functionality. The SW What's New pdf is also always a good place to see about new SW functionality. After that my first stop is Google.

Between the links I posted and the SW Help Search key words Jim W posted you should be good to go now.

Cheers,

Luke Gierach
                    I have put this up on another post, but wanted to make sure it is known and heard. I have been unable to get the custom property tab to work with multiple configurations without the tab putting the same date in all configs whether I want it or not...it will not read in whatever current custom property is in the file and replaces it without warning. When reported to SW they replied with this

Per SolidWorks:
                    I understand what the customer wishes to see - however this is not the way the property manager was designed. The property builder is a 1 directional tool to force new properties into a part - it does not read them from the part as the customer would like...

This is a limitation
                    -------------------------------

You could submit this as an enhancement request at:

http://www.solidworks.com/page...tion/Enhancements.html
                      Luke Gierach
                      SW finally agreed that it should also report the existing value for dates and have issued an SPR for it. #469554

Hopefully they will get it resolved soon.
                        Charles Culp
                        I just wanted to add that about once every other week or so someone would make a posting in this forum asking when Solidworks would create this functionality. It was probably in the top 10 of requests made on this forum. So even though I don't use it (at least not yet), I think it is definitely welcome by a large population of users. There were even multiple (a cornucopia, really) of third party API functions to do this very thing. So you can try and chide SW for creating this new functionality if you want; just realize that there are a significant number of people who say "it's about time they added that." Also, it doesn't hurt. As Anna mentioned, you can still use properties in the same ole' way as before.